Procharger

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Procharger

Post by vagrant50 »

Since my 87 was a four year initial build project. (You are never done) I was looking at putting some healthy air down her throat. I have the bugs worked out of the weber 32/36 manifold combo I have now. I was looking in the catalog at procharger.com. Now I am sure you have already figured out that they don't make a kit for a goldwing. Just the Harley's. These are self contained units that only need the belt drive integrated into the works. They are ducted right into the existing carb. I figured that the existing setup would easily be done. I know someone had mentioned getting me a supercharger at cost to test for them. Don't remember who it was but I thought I would throw my thoughts out there on this. Also to let folks know about this new setup. I have followed Procharger for about ten years and they seem to have been working out some minor bugs but mainly they are adding more kits to their inventory.

Brent
I can build anything you can afford!
http://community.webshots.com/user/vagrant50
CYBORG

Re: Procharger

Post by CYBORG »

i think pro charger is the way to go. especially for a street machine. i've looked into them. and building one for a wing. the challenge is the plumbing. the intercooler mounting,size, and look. its not dead to me yet. but on the back burner while the little gray cells turn the wheels, and try to engage the cogs
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

I am trying to get the dimensions for one so I can see about mounting options. I can make a bracket for the thing easy enough. With my single weber the plumbing needs to get to the top of the carb so I was thinking of mounting it in the front of the carb and bringing the plumbing straight back to the top of the carb. Intercooler is the issue though their setups are on the sides with the plumbing running acroos the front of the bike. I think there is more room on the wing for them just completly different setup as the belts are on the front.

Brent
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

Here's one with a turbo...
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/ ... the-first/

and one of our own...
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=turbo

Here is one (from somebodys collection)...looks like the same turbo kit as in the previous.
Turbo GL.jpg
Turbo GL.jpg (142.68 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Somebody posted a picture of a dual turbo GL. I can't remember what thread it was in.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

That shows me that there is room in there. If they can fit all the plumbing for a turbo in there then I should be able to put half that plumbing in there huh. The procharger is belt driven so it would have to be mounted at the front of the engine. On the left side so that the boost could be turned 90 degrees and go into the top of the carb. This puts the procharger intake towards the back of the bike. So I was thinking of just putting a scoop on that grabs the air from the left side of the bike and directs it to the back of the procharger where the intake is. I could make a filter that secures in the scoop as the filter on the carb will go away when the carb hat is attached from the procharger. I am still trying to work out the intercooler. With that setup which would be the easiest install there would not be any room for an intercooler. As the discharge from the procharger would be just off to the left and in front of the carb. A 90 degree pipe coupling would take the procharger discharge directly into the carb hat. Again no room for an intercooler. Could use more plumbing and put the intercooler on the right side of bike but I think that would take away from the astetics of the bike too much. Is it worth the hassle to get a comfortable boost say 6 to 8 PSI without an intercooler. I am looking to keep this thing from turning into a full blown rebuild and just trying to get a safe increase in horses without going too overboard. I mean come on a boosted bagger! Sick I tell ya Sick. I am going to have to do this for sure. Guess I better start talking to procharger about getting a procharger, carb hood and a blow by valve. The rest well I will have to make it. No problem. Someone get me a beer so I can start working on this.

Brent
kb0ou
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by kb0ou »

Hey Brent, etc.
You can't just dump the output of a turbocharger into the top of your carberator, that will not work.
You would need EFI or put the carb in PRE-TURBO and the turbo dumping into the intake manifold.
The Harleys that the ProCharger system is made for run EFI and the kit comes with reprograming for the turbo boost on the intake.

It would be a nice project to turbo and efi a wing.... Just sayin' dancr

OOPPPSSSS
Maybe it can be done, gotta watch that sayin' "it can't be done"
Let me re-phrase, can't be done with a "normal carb" with very much turbo pressure, yea, that's the ticket......... crossy.gif
Last edited by kb0ou on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Goldwing gave it away... :(
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i feel your pain. like i said earlier, the intercooler is my problem as well. it really needs air flow, and needs to be large enought to do the job. i'm still trying to work it out as well. but if it doesn't look good, it ain't happening
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

The Procharger designs are set up to dump into the carb. Most of their kits come with a modified carb. I am going to inquire as to the modifications and see what they actually are. I am running the weber 32/36. I don't think my system is too far off from a bolt on application.

Brent
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

This is directly from the catalog at procharger

Carburetors and V-twin engines have a long history
together. Simple and reliable power. Now, those simple and
powerful combinations can be even more powerful with
the addition of a ProCharger Intercooled Supercharger
System designed specifically for carbureted engines.
Utilizing a blow-through design which allows the
carburetor to stay in its stock location and not affect rider
position, ProCharger is the industry’s first intercooled
supercharger system for carburetor-equipped H-D®
Twin Cam® engines. Intercooled ProCharger Systems
for carburetor-equipped bikes are 100% complete and
include a ProCharger B-1 self-contained supercharger,
intercooler and tubing, by-pass valve, modified carburetor,
custom carb bonnet and cover, an auxiliary fuel pump and
regulator assembly. A tuner kit,
without carburetor, pump and regulator, is also available.

Brent
wingless1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wingless1 »

Just thinking out loud (have been working this through for days now-intrigued). I have never done a turbo/supercharger install, so am talking out of my hat here a bit, but I think: vent the float bowls to the intake after the charger. As long as your bowls read the same pressure as your intake throats, your carbs will flow fuel-don't know if it'll be the right amount-may have to jet (likely will). At 6 psi you won't have a lot of heat to dump with a cooler. Have you considered dual chargers run off the cam drives?-leaves all the room under the shelter for whatever you need to fit there. If you had dual webers, fed by dual model a-1 prochargers (the smalest ones-list @1600$ each :0), with small intercoolers mounted where the rad wings are (no appropriate ones listed on procharger, but they are out there I'm sure), it would be a really slick install, and you would have as much volume/pressure as you could use without dropping compression. The chargers would be running in the middle of their pressure/volume range, and would be drivable right off the end of the cams-probably have to change cam drive to chain intead of belts.
1975 GL1000, '13 beta 300rr, '? ct110, '82 kz440ltd, '84 vf750f, cm185t
gone and missed: xs650, cb650sc, ts400, drz400s
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

That brings up some more thinking. I also have thought about getting rid of the belts and going with chains. Don't know of anyone who has done this.

Brent
wingless1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wingless1 »

one other thought: intake pressure can't go above fuel pump pressure or the carbs won't get fuel. May need a fuel pressure regulator of some sort activated by intake pressure to keep it around stock (6-7psi?-very near there, which is about what you can run for boost without a cooler and pump gas, so that means you would have no fuel flow to the carb float bowls). I wonder how they get around that problem with the harley kits?
The beauty of the procharger set-up is the flexibility of mounting: the outlet can be turned anywhere around the body-full 360* rotation, and they can be gotten turning in either direction so a dual system could be done with symmetry (tyger, tyger...)
1975 GL1000, '13 beta 300rr, '? ct110, '82 kz440ltd, '84 vf750f, cm185t
gone and missed: xs650, cb650sc, ts400, drz400s
vagrant50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vagrant50 »

Finally got to talk to the guys at procharger while I was in Daytona a few weeks ago. I am going to buy just the procharger and the intercooler. I can make the rest of the plumbing at the house. The tech said my weber will work but as was mentioned before the jetting will change and the fuel delivery will have to be modified. The tech actually liked the goldwing engine as you can put the drive directly on the front and run it with a single pulley. The HD setups have a gear box configuration on them. The Goldwing would only require the one gear or pulley which I believe would have about a six in diameter. The procharger can be mounted left or right inline with the gear or pulley. The intake can be as simple as a filter on the end of the procharger. The discharge can go across the front to the other side of the engine through the intercooler and then straight across to the top of the weber. The plumbing would be simpler than what is required for the HD's also. I am going to have another project! Oh wait I have one on the lift now?

Brent
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

as i've said before....pro charger is the best way to go for a street bike
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Sounds exciting!! Make sure to take plenty of pics for us droolers in the cheap seats!!!
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!

Return to “Unique Carburetion”