GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: GL1100 with throttle bodies (Fuel Injection)

Post by socrace »

ericheath,
If you don't have a Microsquirt efi controller, most of what I'm posting won't mean much. But, if you do, it should be "vely intelesting" (to continue Greg's old tv show references).

As for power measurement, there's an independent Harley shop nearby with an old dynojet, may be worth renting, maybe not. Also have an old iphone3 app called "Bosch Light 'em Up Dyno" that seems to work ok, just need to do some full power runs and fine tune the mixture. Have to wonder if Bosch killed it when they finally realized that it might get used somewhere other than a dragstrip?
1981 Goldwing Standard - efi'd, other stuff
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

socrace wrote:ericheath,
If you don't have a Microsquirt efi controller, most of what I'm posting won't mean much. But, if you do, it should be "vely intelesting" (to continue Greg's old tv show references).

As for power measurement, there's an independent Harley shop nearby with an old dynojet, may be worth renting, maybe not. Also have an old iphone3 app called "Bosch Light 'em Up Dyno" that seems to work ok, just need to do some full power runs and fine tune the mixture. Have to wonder if Bosch killed it when they finally realized that it might get used somewhere other than a dragstrip?

The Harley dealer by me said they couldn't let me run on their dyno because it has to plug into the diagnostic port on the bike...

Though that was through a friend so I may talk to them myself in person...the other guy around here was going to cost me almost $600 do to a few runs.
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I was eager to try this, but the microsquirt seems a little daunting to me right now.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

icb,
Yeah, I'm getting a little too old to be doing 70mph full throttle in 2rd gear down a country road. And so is the bike! But if the iphone app indicates much over 80 rwhp or so (not likely), I might just do it. Apparently the dynojet owner wants $90 total for 2 warmup pulls and 3 full pulls (according to a guy in the shop). That to me is a lot of money for basically nothing!
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

Well the only shop I heard back from wanted a $400 shop cleanup deposit (since its a 30yr old bike with a turbo), $180 for setup and warmup, $120 an hour after that...

your's sounds like a steal!
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

icb, That large amount could be for a so-called eddy current dyno, which would let you tune your entire fuel and ignition maps in maybe an hour or two? My estimate was for an inertial dyno, which can basically measure max horsepower. Interesting stuff alright, but that's about it.

ericheath, Using Microsquirt reminds me of buying an old Goldwing. They both can be bought cheaply, but neither one should be thought of as a cheap way to ride, unless you're really into diy!
Deancat
Lead Member
Lead Member
My Album: http://deansnakedwings.blogspot.com/

Post by Deancat »

I have done the repurposed efi from the SEI, worked fine, did not like the look. Am now working on using modified carbs, stripped and modified as throttle bodies, will be using the Mega Squirt for timing and fuel management. Will post pics when I figure that out out.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Deancat wrote:I have done the repurposed efi from the SEI, worked fine, did not like the look. Am now working on using modified carbs, stripped and modified as throttle bodies, will be using the Mega Squirt for timing and fuel management. Will post pics when I figure that out out.

When you do this please start a new thread. Always good to have projects separated so it's easier to keep track of them and watch the progress.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Here is a summary of the power used by the GL1100 in stock form and after the efi conversion.
Currently using an led headlight bulb from superbrightleds that only has a low beam, but will probably switch back to a stock headlight bulb after the new 40w fuel pump is installed.
poweuse.PNG
poweuse.PNG (22.69 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Last edited by socrace on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deancat
Lead Member
Lead Member
My Album: http://deansnakedwings.blogspot.com/

Post by Deancat »

I am currently building an FI setup using carbs as the throttle bodies. Am using Mega Squirt for ECU, to run timing and fuel. I did the LTD FI a few years ago, but wanted a cleaner look.

81 GL1100
77 GL1000 YellowJacket
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

Deancat, I checked out your blog for details on the efi conversion, nice work!
http://deansnakedwings.blogspot.com/
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

It's been pretty cold here in Illinois lately, on and off, ranging down to the low 20's. And the Microsquirt really hasn't been very happy starting up and running in this weather, so decided to re-visit the cold enrichment tables and update them by translating data from my old, well tuned Weber-Marelli enrichment tables.

To summarize, Microsquirt (like most efi systems) uses 5 enrichment tables: priming, cranking, warmup, warmup taper, and main cold enrichment.

The priming table specifies the fuel amount to be injected one time, right after the ignition key is turned on.
The cranking table specifies the fuel amount to be injected every engine cycle during cranking.
The warmup table specifies the additional fuel needed during the first 20 seconds or so after engine starts.
The warmup taper table specifies the period to apply the warmup table.
And finally, the main cold enrichment table specifies the basic enrichment needed at various coolant temps.

The following new tables give pretty good performance, from startup through warmed up. They give a pretty consistent afr of 11-12 on the wideband O2 sensor during this period:
prime1.GIF
prime1.GIF (63.12 KiB) Viewed 195 times
cranking1.GIF
cranking1.GIF (62.49 KiB) Viewed 195 times
asepercent1.GIF
asepercent1.GIF (103.48 KiB) Viewed 195 times
asetaper1.GIF
asetaper1.GIF (78.15 KiB) Viewed 195 times
5dd1585a-0e85-4d52-828f-c5caa84bafb6.GIF
5dd1585a-0e85-4d52-828f-c5caa84bafb6.GIF (77.11 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Last edited by socrace on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroWing
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AstroWing »

Hello Socrace,

I have been looking at your EFI progress with much interest. My MicroSquirted GL1100 is a ways behind yours. My goal is to finish the bike this year. I am getting close to having all of my sensors mounted (lacking the wideband controllers) $375 + dollars. Since this will be near the biggest expense of the build so far, I want to be sure I make the best choices. My bike has 2 separate exhaust pipes with no balance tube, why I think I need 2, O2 sensors and 2 controllers. I have not started working with the Tuner software. Hopefully, I will be able to ask you questions as I go. Thank you for sharing all of your great work so far.
Have lots of bikes... need one more.
socrace
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by socrace »

AstroWing,
Have been following your build with interest also, impressive work.
As for using a wide-band O2 sensor, I'm using a single LC-1 Innovate sensor screwed into one side of a dual exhaust header that is setup similar to yours (no crossover). The LC1 kit costs about $190 and gets the job done. It has no display of its own, but the Microsquirt's Tunerstudio software functions well as a display. As for using 2 O2 sensors, I don't think Microsquirt has the option to use 2 sensors, but measuring half the cylinders has been close enough on mine.
Feel free to post or pm any questions.
AstroWing
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by AstroWing »

Hello Socrace and ICB(via pm)

Thank you for following my project and the kind words of support.

You guys are helping tremendously. In a few words from you guys many of my current questions have been answered. Now, I will go and work awhile, get lost, repeat.

My goal is to make this bike a reliable, long distance touring bike, so I will compromise certain performance items to gain smooth power and ride ability. My budget is very limited, so I try to make anything I can.
Please feel free to offer suggestions and advice any time.

Thank you
Have lots of bikes... need one more.