wife asks why arent you working on it

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

wife asks why arent you working on it

Post by doubleminded »

I have the 78 complete bike in my back yard.I have one for parts.I have lots of parts.She said the shed is cleaned out, why dont you put it in there and work on it.I have it for sale, took it off sale, back on, back off.I just deleted my craigslist ad for it.Here is my concern.I have $400 in it.It is complete except the left sidecover.The former owner cut the fenders down, put some sort of clear small signals front and back, made a small tailight and license holder.He did it ok.But i want it stock.I have beaucoup parts to do that.Wingding is here in gapevine texas this august.I want to at least make a rider of it by then.2 original things I hate.The padded vinyl cover on the shelter.I am going to get rid of that.The carbs with a $180 randakk kit.Even if I took forever cleaning the carbs and used the kit parts I doubt i could get it right.I will when the time comes go with the solex single carb setup.If I spread the $1500 I will have to spend on it spreadout over 7 months it wont be too bad.The number one thing that has stopped me is i find literally dozens here for the 1500 that are already running.It seems dumb to do all the work and have the same money and already have a rideable bike. Any input appreciated.I promise I aint selling it again.If I decide to go with a rideable bike I sure do have lots of parts.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
CYBORG

Re: wife asks why arent you working on it

Post by CYBORG »

Pretty simple actually, your wife not with standing, if you enjoy or want to do the work build it,....if you want to ride, buy one
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

CYBORG wrote:Pretty simple actually, your wife not with standing, if you enjoy or want to do the work build it,....if you want to ride, buy one
Very wise words from someone I respect greatly, but I would suggest that you would be lucky to find one that needed nothing doing, if not now, then in the near future. I have to say that I have enjoyed my journey despite the numerous issues I faced until I was able to get out on the road. But it was worth every hour of time, every penny spent, just to have that moment when I was able to ride. You also have to consider your private life. I bought the bike when I was still happily married, that ended and I met and lived with Jo, and then that ended and I met and now live with Karen, who is absolutely perfect, and was the second person, after my daughter to experience the joy of riding the GL, but she did say, and it puts the fear of God into most men, 'If the womans not happy, then NO ONE is happy!

lolol lolol lolol
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

chewy999 wrote:
CYBORG wrote:Pretty simple actually, your wife not with standing, if you enjoy or want to do the work build it,....if you want to ride, buy one
Very wise words from someone I respect greatly, but I would suggest that you would be lucky to find one that needed nothing doing, if not now, then in the near future. I have to say that I have enjoyed my journey despite the numerous issues I faced until I was able to get out on the road. But it was worth every hour of time, every penny spent, just to have that moment when I was able to ride. You also have to consider your private life. I bought the bike when I was still happily married, that ended and I met and lived with Jo, and then that ended and I met and now live with Karen, who is absolutely perfect, and was the second person, after my daughter to experience the joy of riding the GL, but she did say, and it puts the fear of God into most men, 'If the womans not happy, then NO ONE is happy!

lolol lolol lolol
All good points. And we all know that every situation is a little different, as is every wife, (I've had four, or is it five), anyway its more about what makes you happy. I respect that. And I know that there are many different factors that add up to being happy. I hope you make the right decision for you.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

This...
I love spinning wrenches and have for 35+ years...
I've gone both routes..bought a vehicle that was running and I've driven it and "made it mine" for the last 13 years.
I bought my wing in excellent condition but it's been sitting for 11 years.
So I've done a lot of reading here, asked a lot of questions and I've been collecting the necessary parts to rebuild the brake, fuel and cooling systems.
I can't wait for the weather to start warming up so I can get at it.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

5speed wrote:
This...
I love spinning wrenches and have for 35+ years...
I've gone both routes..bought a vehicle that was running and I've driven it and "made it mine" for the last 13 years.
I bought my wing in excellent condition but it's been sitting for 11 years.
So I've done a lot of reading here, asked a lot of questions and I've been collecting the necessary parts to rebuild the brake, fuel and cooling systems.
I can't wait for the weather to start warming up so I can get at it.
I can relate. So far this winter I have remover three 1200 engines. and replaced two, as well as tore a bike completely down. I do like shop time,.....but I like to ride also.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

CYBORG wrote: I can relate. So far this winter I have remover three 1200 engines. and replaced two, as well as tore a bike completely down. I do like shop time,.....but I like to ride also.
She who must be obeyed parks her suv in the garage in the winter..so I wait. lol
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

5speed wrote:
CYBORG wrote: I can relate. So far this winter I have remover three 1200 engines. and replaced two, as well as tore a bike completely down. I do like shop time,.....but I like to ride also.
She who must be obeyed parks her suv in the garage in the winter..so I wait. lol
Over the years, I have had garages in most of the houses I've lived in, but have never had a car in one!

lolol
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

chewy999 wrote:
Over the years, I have had garages in most of the houses I've lived in, but have never had a car in one!

lolol
lol. We've been in this house for 13 years. 2 car attached garage and I currently have my massey sub compact on one side, wing behind it, wife's shadow beside it and plenty of room for her suv..
Keeping it clutter free is a full time job..
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

Thanks for all the input.One good thing I have a near perfect Vulcan 1600 meanstreak to ride every day if I want.Another good point is if I find one for 1500 it will for sure need something.I rebuilt one gs 1000 but the former owner had already done the carbs.And also they are much simpler than the goldwin.They scare me.The gs was simple, a $100 gasket set, lots of time cleaning and reassembling then it was done.I had paid 1100 for it, it ran great for months then blew a headgasket.So many hours and about 200 dollars later it was good again.Plus it needed front brake pads,tires,and eventually clutch springs.There is no way around wrenching with an older bike.However you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work on them. My master cylinder up front looks like brittle plastic.Sure to fail.I saw rebuild kits with a new chamber on ebay.I probably will replace the whole thing.My mightyvac will make fluid change easier. When a woman asks why don't you fix the motorcycle she is either a great wife or a unicorn.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

One more thing, it looks like some parts for a 750 four will work on these bikes.MC,levers,etc.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

The only time my wife comes into my shop is when she wants me to fix something of hers. That works for me.
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Oldest grand daughter is in my shop more than my wife. :orange action1

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

1. Finish high school.
2. Put in coupla years of college.
3. Git married.
4. Work a lil bit
5. Have some kids.
6. Go out to the garage w/ a beverage & contemplate.
7. Pick up a wrench; keep wrenchin' till it's done; it could be five 'r ten years.
8. Everything is gonna be OK. We're all here.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

as cheap as i was selling parts its unbelieveable how guys keep trying to get me to take less.Buy a few parts on your won and see just how much you will spend.If someone bought all the parts off a $300 parts bike individually you would spend over a thousand dollars.