79 GL1000 restoration time.

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

blweigel2
Lead Member
Lead Member

79 GL1000 restoration time.

Post by blweigel2 »

I have been frequently directed to this forum over the last few years, when google searches led me here with results to a question I had about different issues regarding an old wing. I didn't think of becoming a member until several months ago my gl1000 in the garage ended up becoming bunk mates with a younger sister, one that's had a much less privileged last few decades.

I have a beautiful 77 gl1000 that is my regular rider, and I will have a hard time topping the job done on restoration of that one. The guy that did it has been restoring old naked wings almost as long as I've been riding. Needless to say he got me hooked and I'm already 2 deep, so far..
My newest addition is a 79 gl1000 with fairing, trunk, and bags. I have stripped the fairing and bags, but have yet to remove trunk mount, I'm in need of a seat grab bar to replace the trunk mount once removed. I have spent countless hours on the internet looking for all the parts that are missing and lights and turn signals that were removed long ago when fairing and accessories added.

The PO was quite fond of rigging things the cheapest way possible. I have been removing wiring mess all over, his electronic fuel pump hanging out the side with zip ties, beer bottle caps glued on the carbs, etc.
I ordered a factory fuel pump to go back on, new radiator side panels (old ones are destroyed), and that's where I'm running into dilemmas.
I love the look of original, but when it comes to budget, is it worth the money for original head light mounting tabs(that are rusty at Best from ebay), a used headlight bowl (and rusty too), and old turn signals, and get things rechromed etc for probably 3-4 times more. Or to just get a nice new headlight and turn signals that look good on the bike and forget if it's original?
On that note my biggest dislike of the 79 over the 77 is the king/queen seat. I can't find even a used standard low profile seat on ebay(was hoping to find one to recover) so I may uncover the king seat, shave foam and recover this one.
Love the Corbin saddle but there's that budget getting in the way again.
I haven't tried to run the new bike yet, PO used to ride it so I know it runs. But want to run thru it first and check things one by one and clean them out. I know the carbs need synced, and may end up buying randaaks kit/video and rebuilding myself. I don't have much knowledge of the inner workings of gl1000 carbs. My 77 was done by a guy that is a carb guru, he only does classic hondas, and on the last one he rebuilt it hadn't run in 20 years, he put the carbs back on, and first press of the starter it fired up. I'm abit intimidated after seeing his work and the years of experience he has that I don't. But I'm several states away now so the internet will have to be a good enough guide.

All in all very excited to start this restore. I will post pictures asap! I am glad to have found a forum like this with all you seasoned"wing guys" to pick at some brains if I run into any walls along the way.
Attachments
WP_20170202_15_47_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20170202_15_47_00_Pro.jpg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 265 times
WP_20170202_15_48_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20170202_15_48_13_Pro.jpg (144.69 KiB) Viewed 265 times
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 79 GL1000 restoration time.

Post by flyin900 »

Welcome to the forum lots of good info here both from the members and the Tech section. Check the for sale section or place a wanted ad for a stock seat, as they do pop up from time to time. As you already noted you could shave the king queen beast and just purchase a new skin to recover your remolded foam for a much more cost effective solution.

So did he use budget suds caps on the carbs or imported ones? :guitar
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
blweigel2
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by blweigel2 »

He used four different import beer bottle caps on the carbs actually ha.
blweigel2
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by blweigel2 »

Well getting into this project and the surprises are popping up, nothing too drastic yet luckily.
Slowly undoing the PO's crap job of anything he touched while owning it. Got about half of the extea wiring traced down, and cleaned up/removed. Ripped out electronic fuel pump, and all the zip ties, home made cap for tach gear, and the 1/2 inch!! fuel hoses he had crammed in there and squished on with rusty (not stainless steel) clamps. Replaced with a fuel pump that belongs on there, but waiting on fuel line to replace them all, as well as a Napa 3011 fuel filter so I can see thru it from now on. Got lucky, the tank isn't rusty inside so won't be too bad cleaning that up.
Haven't tried to start it yet. Before I test engine need to change timing belts, which are missing bolts on covers also.

The carbs have orange epoxy or sealant of some kind on top with beer bottle caps attached to them. I got one of them off, and the plastic cap on the carb is split. Weather that's the reason for the "beer cap fix" or the result of removing, I don't know. But now I need to fix all four, as they are all destroyed under beer caps. I saw on this forum or goldwing docs, cant remember which but I bookmarked luckily, someone sells new ones or refurbished them, so another part to add to the Xmas list.
blweigel2
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by blweigel2 »

On a side note, after seeing how expensive certain factory parts are turning up to be on eBay or whatnot, I decided to look for a whole parts bike. But instead found an older gl1000, a 75, and am picking it up not as a parts bike anymore, it will be my "factory specimen" to restore. Love the look of 75-77 so will keep it original. As for the subject of this thread, my 79 restoration, I will go original as the budget allows me to. I have kept all my previous restorations of old bikes as close to original as possible, but I have been there, done that, so on the 79 i will be customizing things that can be done cheaper than Oem and put a little spin on it. Nothing crazy, as I love this model bike the way Honda built her.