1976 GL1000, Red, resto-mod, Keller TX

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

1976 GL1000, Red, resto-mod, Keller TX

Post by acestrom »

After a few weeks of saving for parts and diving deep into these NGW forums, I've got a good start on a long awaited project. At the end of 2016, I had finally done it!! The timing, condition, and deal was just right, and I finally secured what I felt was the sweet spot for remaining life (condition) vs. price - I landed a red '76 GL1000 with 32k miles. I had been dreaming of a 75-77 Wing for many years and there was always something more pressing or critical to fund. Well, I feel blessed, and I'm ready to go!! So, now what??...

Here's the list of TO DO projects on her:
1. Carb rebuild (I purchased the Randakk master kit and DVD)
2. Clean and restore the fuel tank (about to try de-rusting with Sodium Carbonate)
3. Brakes (I must replace the rubber hoses and brake pads)
4. PO changed the handlebars and grips. Left (directional and horn) controls need finishing. Low bars changes a bunch of cable and hose routing.
5. Tach cable needs to be lubbed or replaced.
6. Seat needs re-skinned or replaced (toying with the idea of a more modern or solo seat) SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED
7. Lots of crome and aluminum needs to be re-touched up and polished. (Thinking about polishing the final drive housing too)
8. PO or an owner at some point had some battery issues: rear swing arm, battery tray and frame on left side need black paint touch up.
9. Something is up with the horn, and directionals not working. Not fun - gotta trace some things but figured I would at least replace the flasher relay first.
10. PO says timing belts had been changed 6 months ago. I might just do the belts, water pump and hoses while also flushing and replacing the antifreeze.

Besides those things, once I get her on the road, I just want to drive her and take one day at a time. Just clean and restore as I go. Mods might stop at the handlebars (has bad end mirrors) and solo seat. I really think I will stick with the mechanical points for now, though I want to do the Off-Idle fix that Randakk suggests for the carbs (can anyone please help me source the #105 idle air jet? Or at least a #62 that I can drill out - I'm not crazy about the fill your old ones with solder and drill it. Maybe it's just me and I want a set of 4 "original" to have on hand of the solder/drill deal fails).

So far I've done a bit of mechanical prep for the carb rebuild. #3 carb has a stuck float valve so I went ahead and ordered the rebuild kit. Carbs are off the bike and on the bench, yay! I reset the timing and adjusted the points, and verified the static timing is in spec. I adjusted the valves, and gained a few PSI on a second compression check. While the carbs are out, I removed the rear tire and fender works, took off the final drive and pulled the fuel tank for a bit or electrolysis to get the tank super clean (the carbs will be happiest and thank me).

I accomplished a ton today and I really hadn't thought I would be THAT GUY who takes things down so far!! The bike looks like a skeleton with the back end being so bare, and the middle hollow with no tank or carbs. Basically, I have a shelter full of electrical goods, and an intact front end. And now I know why I see the naked wings so much more naked...

Thanks for all of your wisdom and sharing. This forum is amazingly helpful and is the very ready why not I've had the courage to strip her down this far. Wish me luck, and prayers are welcomed!!

-Andy
Attachments
Getting the carbs on the bench.  Thoughts on the seat options?
Getting the carbs on the bench. Thoughts on the seat options?
IMG_8029.JPG (293.03 KiB) Viewed 463 times
Before and after with removing the fuel tank and final drive (and lots of other things to do just that)
Before and after with removing the fuel tank and final drive (and lots of other things to do just that)
IMG_8086.JPG (412.71 KiB) Viewed 463 times
1976 GL1000 (mostly stock)
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1976 GL1000, Red, resto-mod, Keller TX

Post by flyin900 »

Welcome and you seem to have a bit of work ahead yet you seem to have it well organized. The bike you note is a 76 and you should recheck the specs for the off idle fix on Randakk's site. There is a footnote further down that suggests a slightly different drill size than #62 for that year.
I did the solder set up and it is pretty easy to do.I set a small piece of solder into each jet top and had a pop rivet stub that supported the jet from the bottom in a vise. A quick shot of a propane torch melted the solder and the pop rivet stopped the solder from running out the bottom.
I don't believe the correct size of jet is available new for purchase any more from Honda as Randakk indicates they are discontinued.
Lots of good information on here with the Shop Talk section and the members are quite helpful too.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

Thanks Flyin!!
I appreciate the tip, with the pop rivet stub. Until now, I couldn't visualize the success in the process but now the molten metal won't escape and is more consistent. This helps!!
Yes, I am going for the #105 (should be the new Randakk spec for the 758A carbs from a '76) and found that with my skill set taking another set of #60 or 62 and drilling them out (why #60 or #62? Because those are the secondary jet and might be more common in some rebuild kits as they are in the same family). I would then have the original set, and a new set that if my drilling skills weren't to spec I would have a chance... in theory.
I found this with some digging. Should this be available and able to come to this side of the pond, would it work? Am I making this too complicated??! See attached picture:
Attachments
Not sure if this is the correct one (or available still), but I can make this #105
Not sure if this is the correct one (or available still), but I can make this #105
IMG_8088.PNG (122.83 KiB) Viewed 447 times
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by flyin900 »

If you can find the right size jets all the better. I used a .60 micro drill bit as the Randakk addendum indicates a .59 as correct, yet my supplier didn't have a .59 only the .60, so I called it good enough.

Take your time with the cleaning and rebuild as these are a little complicated with many jets and passages that must be very clean for the carbs to operate correctly. I also did use Randakk's carb rebuild kit and found the quality excellent.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

Help!!

I found that one of the PO had stripped out a Carb (#4) float bowl screw, and that's no bueno!! Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do? I'm thinking Heli-coil and replace the threads, but I'm concerned with drilling out the hole bigger due to the nearby passages. Has anyone done this? Carb rebuild comes to a screeching halt!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Has anyone NOT had this happen? There is room to oversize one mm. I have done that. I buy a stainless steel one and cut my own flutes like a tap thread cutter. It takes steady hands. Not much room for a tap. Many here swear by Timeserts for these. Not cheap. Someone else recently posted using an 8/32 screw in its place.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

Great tips!! Thank you. So, you personally oversized one bolt, 1mm? Do you round out the float bowl cover hole too?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Please don't put an over sized bolt in it. Best way to repair float bowl screws is with a time-sert. That is all I use on small bolts/screws like that. Go over sized and then what happens when you strip that one? Time-sert is more a permanent repair.

Yes the kits are expensive. And for a one time use may be out of the question. You could send it to someone that has a kit already and have them repair. Even with shipping it would be much less than buying a kit. But it would be fixed right. IMO

Can you see I'm not a fan of going over size on threaded holes? I see it a lot on Kawasaki heads for the cam cap bolts. Guys strip the threads for the 6mm bolt and put a 1/4" bolt in it. Not a good fix.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

fix it right.......time sert
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

I'm convinced that Time-serts are the answer. I want it right. It's sad that I found this on re-assembly. I'm going to price the kit (adding to inventory is bad?), and see how bad. I'm not inclined to send these off, but maybe there is a local or regional partner out there that has the resource. It's always a good excuse to talk bikes and fellowship...
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

Does this look correct?

TIME-SERT M4 X .70 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1407 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JK44HK/re ... Oyb6E29CJK
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Yes, check how many inserts it comes with. The insert refills are $1.50-$1.60 each. I've done all 4 screws on all 4 carbs in a single rack before. It adds up fast.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
acestrom
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by acestrom »

Description: About this item
Features -
This is a complete kit including: drill bit, counterboring tool, tap, inserting tool, & 5 inserts!
Length of inserts included in kit: 4.3mm
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

the nice thing about getting the kit, is when you strip our another one of the other threads, you will already have the kit. I would see if whomever you are ordering from has the separate serts as well, and order some extras at the same time
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS