1976 GL1000 - Candy Red - Dover, NH

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

1976 GL1000 - Candy Red - Dover, NH

Post by spenray »

Picked up a 1976 GL1000 on Tuesday. Traded a couple of firearms and rode it home about 40 miles on a chilly but not unbearably cold December afternoon. It runs well at speed and idles at 1000-1100 per the tach, but has its quirks and "winter work" that needs to be done before it can be ridden daily through the warmer months. I intend to make this my daily ride; I've owned a number of bikes in the past, mostly old Honda's: an 86 CB700 Nighthawk, a 79 CM400, 81 & 80 CB750's, a Virago 250, a Shadow 750, and a few money pits not worth mentioning. I'm used to doing shade tree mechanic-ish work (replacing fluids, lubing cables, coolant flush, etc.) and intend on taking it to a local shop for replacing tires, bearings, timing belts and more "invasive" work that I'm not interested in screwing up. I also don't have a garage and am keeping it under a motorcycle cover at the moment.

So far, I've replaced the battery that was on it with a fresh one. The old battery had a cracked/broken (+) post and low acid in a few holes. From what I understood, the previous owner had been letting it sit in his garage since August. Added some star-tron fuel stabil to the tank on the way home when I pulled over for gas. All of the lights worked when I rode it home, yet after installing the new battery and turning the ignition on (NOT turning it over) I found that the brake lights, turn signals, and horn do not work at all. Do these older electronic systems need to be "warmed up" before secondary electronics like the brake lights, turn signals, etc. work? Otherwise, it's a fuse, turn signal relay, or something else from what I understand. Should probably invest in a multi-meter! Hopefully, it's an easy fix.

Other things to work on:
1) Rebuilding front brake calipers and master cylinder.
2) Replacing valve cover gaskets.
3) Fixing a coolant leak from the hose directly above the timing belt cover.
4) Replacing the headlight bulb. The one in there is weak. High beam doesn't make all that much difference when switched on.

Other stuff: Has a set of black aftermarket pipes. Don't know anything about them. Has both side panels, both original from what I can tell with a tab broken off on the left cover. Has a blade fuse holder for the main 30A one and a new 7V regulator. Came with an uninstalled Dyna-S ignition.

Will take some pictures of it and some of the problem areas when its not 8 degrees outside xmas2 . Thanks for reading; any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Added some photos the previous owner took and the area to the right of the battery.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (81.16 KiB) Viewed 561 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (92.99 KiB) Viewed 561 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (71.74 KiB) Viewed 561 times
image4.JPG
image4.JPG (103.18 KiB) Viewed 561 times
1976 GL1000 - Candy Red - Running*

* - With some quirks :-?
ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1976 GL1000 - Candy Red - Dover, NH

Post by ole496 »

Hi, welcome to the forum and very nice ride you have there. Anything you can ride home is a very good place to start. There are a few small issues with your bike that you can resolve almost entirely on your own with help from the forum. There is a shoptalk area that walks you thru most of the repairs you need to complete on your bike and honestly most are not that bad to do if you go step by step. If you have any issues, post some photos and questions in the forum and people will jump in and help you figure it all out. I have a 76 GL1000 in red just like yours so I can't wait to see you get her back on the road!
1976 GL1000 "Double Nature" https://youtu.be/IK0YS2uuZtc
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Congratulations on the acquisition. And I don't envy your needing to do work on it over the winter. That will not be fun. I acquired my black '78 through a firearm barter deal. I came out WAAAYY ahead on mine.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

Dug into the front calipers with some serious elbow grease. The bolts holding the caliper-halves together were all sorts of gunked up. One piston is better than the other, though both should probably be replaced. Going to let the parts soak overnight.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (123.04 KiB) Viewed 522 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (144.39 KiB) Viewed 522 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (131.53 KiB) Viewed 522 times
image4.JPG
image4.JPG (83.24 KiB) Viewed 522 times
image5.JPG
image5.JPG (133.45 KiB) Viewed 522 times

ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

Your pistons look ok, might want to just check the specs on those and you may be able to re-use them.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

desertrefugee - I'd like to think my case will be the same, though the guy I bartered with is enjoying his new toys now whereas I'll be waiting a few months before some real fun can be had with this!

Ole496 - Yours looks mint! The red plug wires are a nice touch.

Changed the oil to Shell Rotella 5w40 and reinstalled the battery. Flasher/brake light issue must have been a fluke; all lights worked fine, today :-D

As for the pistons....
Attachments
Here's the worst of the two after a day of soaking and scrubbing and soaking and scrubbing. There are a number of scratches and areas of pitting on the lip and around the rim of the piston... would like to reuse it but obviously don't want to take the caliper apart again after going through it once before. Best source for a replacement I could find was : https://hvccycle.net/honda-gl1000-front-brake-caliper-piston-45107-371-006/
Here's the worst of the two after a day of soaking and scrubbing and soaking and scrubbing. There are a number of scratches and areas of pitting on the lip and around the rim of the piston... would like to reuse it but obviously don't want to take the caliper apart again after going through it once before. Best source for a replacement I could find was : https://hvccycle.net/honda-gl1000-front-brake-caliper-piston-45107-371-006/
image2(1).JPG (54.69 KiB) Viewed 481 times

ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

Thanks! Will check them out.

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

ole496 wrote:Try one of our sponsors sites...

http://www.wingovations.com/stainless-s ... 4588600239
+1 on the stainless pistons. Generally less expensive than the inflated OEM prices, and less prone to damage from grime and crud.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

Finished the front brake caliper and master cylinder rebuild; put everything back on the bike and it seems to work well outside of the brake lever and rubber bushing needing to be replaced so the travel is a little better. Got a few better shots of the bike as it stands currently, too. Currently off getting new wheel bearings, tires, fork seals and timing belts at a local small shop. Just a few tweaks here and there before its ready to go for the season!
Attachments
image1(2).JPG
image1(2).JPG (209.7 KiB) Viewed 395 times
image2(2).JPG
image2(2).JPG (165.49 KiB) Viewed 395 times

spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

Got it back from the shop on Wednesday and was able to get it out on the road these last few days during an unseasonably warm New England February. New tires, belts, bearings and leaky coolant hoses were fixed. Put four new plugs in and switched out the original levers for new ones (replaced the front brake rubber bushing, too).

Will add pictures of the old plugs when I can, but am noticing some "interesting" behavior when first starting the bike each day:

With full choke, it starts up pretty quickly and after about 15-20 seconds the RPM's never get about above 1500-1800 and it begins backfiring. At this point I put it to about half choke, nurse the throttle just a little (this stops the backfiring) and let it run in this manner for 30 seconds to a minute before I am able to put the choke in all the way, let go of the throttle and let it idle on it's own at about 1000 rpms. From thereon out, trip to trip and place to place it's just fine starting up and idling on it's own (though there is some occasional backfiring upon deceleration)... but any choke and it's no good and (this was more noticeable when starting it for the first time after being at the shop for a month or so) it smells pretty gassy. Am considering going through the carbs when the inevitable cold comes back, again. Any other ideas? Thanks, all.

spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

Mileage on fill up at about a half tank today was somewhere around 23-24 mpgs. Was maybe 25mpgs this past Saturday. Still smells very gassy at stop/start and the startup behavior hasn't changed over the last 100-150 running everyday since last week. It runs well enough at higher rpms and has good pull where you'd expect it to above 5500rpms. New coolant hoses didn't actually help much, also. Some small puddles of coolant underneath the radiator each morning.

CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

spenray wrote:Mileage on fill up at about a half tank today was somewhere around 23-24 mpgs. Was maybe 25mpgs this past Saturday. Still smells very gassy at stop/start and the startup behavior hasn't changed over the last 100-150 running everyday since last week. It runs well enough at higher rpms and has good pull where you'd expect it to above 5500rpms. New coolant hoses didn't actually help much, also. Some small puddles of coolant underneath the radiator each morning.
Carb sync? Check the hose clamps for tightness
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
spenray
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by spenray »

CYBORG wrote:
spenray wrote:Mileage on fill up at about a half tank today was somewhere around 23-24 mpgs. Was maybe 25mpgs this past Saturday. Still smells very gassy at stop/start and the startup behavior hasn't changed over the last 100-150 running everyday since last week. It runs well enough at higher rpms and has good pull where you'd expect it to above 5500rpms. New coolant hoses didn't actually help much, also. Some small puddles of coolant underneath the radiator each morning.
Carb sync? Check the hose clamps for tightness
Grabbed a sync tool to do just that... though after a spirited ride to do some errands along back roads this evening another issue presented itself. Took it close to redline in 2nd gear going downhill and let off the throttle completely, letting it engine break. Heard a violent, gunshot-like backfire and shifted into 3rd & 4th for another few miles before I came to a stoplight. When I got to a full stop, it barely held idle. Had to nurse the throttle/clutch away from the stop and, when I gave it an unusually large amount of throttle, it backfired gunshot-like again. Was close to home, thankfully, got it in the driveway, parked it and let it idle, barely, as it was doing. Any input to the throttle at this point produced another loud gunshot-like backfire again.

Don't know if this is a jumped tooth on the newly installed timing belts.... idle passages finally getting their fair share of whatever gunk is in those carbs... or something else.

CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I think I would look at the ignition......Timing. plug condition, etc.
worst case......a bad valve
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200