GL 1200 Sniak

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL 1200 Sniak

Post by Old Fogey »

Late back to this thread, I'm sorry.
If you bought from the link I gave you, I am guilty
The gaskets you got are for the 85-87 1200; you have the 84 engine which is a one year only engine. So no, they don't fit yours. I didn't notice the wrong years posted for that set.
Buli wrote:Hello. I have read bad experience about athen seal kits also before this. It seem they r cheap but no good.
You shouldn't believe everything you read. I have lost count of the number of Athena kits I have used over the years and I have NEVER had a problem. It's not good to badmouth something unless you have the experience to back it up.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hello, I dont understand, you say that 84 engine is different than 85 ? Does that apply to the head gasket also?

I ordered somewhere else the full athena kit for GL1200, there was no mention of any diference from 84 to 86....
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Rear cover, ignition and starters were different on 84 models. There may be others, but head gaskets were the same.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

ericheath wrote:Rear cover, ignition and starters were different on 84 models. There may be others, but head gaskets were the same.
Crankcases were changed for the 85 on models; rear case and gasket same as the GL1100, clutch cover gasket the same as the GL1000/1100. Starter unique to 84 1200. 84 has the igniton modules in the advance unit in the rear case like the 1100, the 85-87 has them inside the timing belt covers.
Last edited by Old Fogey on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

thanks guys, when i bought the 1985 bike I knew that the engine had been replaced, now i know its a 84 engine, that would explain my troubles for some gaskets.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You should note the changes John listed for future parts. I've read of several who've bought replacement starters for 84 only to find they're different. eBay merchandisers often make the same unknowing mistake fir the other bits.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

the only obvious thing i need is a water pump, because after first start i noticed coolant flowing through the hole under it...
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

...buuuut other than that. It's coming along nicely. :orange
Your tank idea is saving you a lot of time. Nice job.
Narrowing the frame can be intense.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hello guys, im finishing the electrical part, and installing the m-unit. aalready removed 80% of the wires ;)

I still have one issue : the neutral is not working, as i will have to check the water pump i'll open it someday and check if i misplaced the needle...

But before coming to that, my question is : on my haynes manual, no mention of 7v on the 85, but on the color diagram on this very site, on the 84 all sensors seems to run on 7v... are the sensors of the 85+ models running on 12V ?

Im a bit confused about that because a 84 engine was mounted on a 85 frame in my case !
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

I'm still struggling with fuel level also...Any help about this 7v issue? In fact I dont even know what is supposed to be the 7V power supply.... also I wonder, since it seems that I have only 12v on my harness, did I just burn all my sensors?

++
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Hi, I just removed almost everything from the harness. I did install the m unit wich is by the way an amazing time saver and convenient device. For sur all my other projects will receive the same treat.

For now, everything running fine, I just bought a new fuel level sensor and indicator, almost plug and play.

Bike is dissassembled fully, and i'm welding brackets for all the stuff. One advice, check the 2 lower frame parts, since they seem to suffer from rust a lot ( same on the other side) :

Fiber is on progress, i'l try to take more pics for you to follow the work.

:mrgreen:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Got a link to the m-unit? Pics?
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

here you go !

https://revivalcycles.com/products/moto ... controller

I'll share my actual install when I re-assemble the bike ;)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Sunnbbob just posted a link describing it. My winter homework.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
sniak
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by sniak »

Yes revival videos are great !

Basically, with the m unit, and if you plan to use and adaptable dashboard, you just remove everything from/to instruments ( dashboard and commodos). On a GL 1200 its a huge pile of cables. You also remove everything that does lights and fuses. If, like me you also remove the standard key lock, then you remove all the cables.

Whats left is Controller, ignition, charging system and thats all ! I have a bag with at least 5kg of wires and stuff from the harness ;)