Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Never Ever B4 seen photos of a Goldwing

Post by wheeliedog »

Progress on your home seems to be going at the same pace as that of the puppy. One step forward...

Here's a good tip. I have found you have to let the bubble in the spirit level settle for a few days before you can take an accurate reading. In the meantime you have to keep hydrated. Cold beer being recommended.
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I used to transfer Kahlua into the levels, but that made it too hard to read; had to quit that one years ago.
After work yesterday, I found that my house is haunted. I think Houdini said you can photograph spooks if you lure them in w/ cookies & beer.
I caught one!
PA300210.JPG
PA300210.JPG (71.32 KiB) Viewed 275 times
PA300211.JPG
PA300211.JPG (72.65 KiB) Viewed 275 times
PA300212.JPG
PA300212.JPG (65.51 KiB) Viewed 275 times
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Cool. How'd you get him to do ironing?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

When I asked about the ironing, he vaporized!
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Here's the project that interrupted the project that interrupted the project. I can't get a break here; I'm just a shadow of my former self. And there I was, a mere thirty years from attaining master mechanic status.
PB130214.JPG
PB130214.JPG (107.29 KiB) Viewed 235 times
I had to replace the battery in my son's car, & while he was checking the oil the other day, he noticed the splatter from the leaking radiator core, & so we changed the radiator today. And then I noticed that the two front tires are bald & threads are visible. Off to the tire store tomorrow.
The invitation to dinner from my sister was quite welcomed. The air temp hit about 85 today, & even though the car was finished by about noon, I was ready for a break. I thought I could do an errand on the way to dinner. And so I stopped at Ikea to purchase a lamp for the living room. The one we formerly used was great grandmother style--flowers, pleated shade, probably matched a beautiful set of doilies somewhere in the universe. It had to go.
Ikea is a physical metaphor for purgatory. After fighting through parking lot traffic & a radio station circus, I entered. They take you up 12 steps, a landing, then another 12 steps & your sense of direction is instantly compromised. For me, I had no idea what was up or down, east or west. The designers put you on that yellow brick road through the store, & you know they built it so that you are always within 8 meters in proximity to every single product in there. Who needs plastic chairs in (18) different hues? Forty nine cutting boards? Yep. Ladles in metals unknown to black smiths? Yep. They just want you to want it all & buy most of it. Right after passing the Famgoosa & Raskolnikov, I was lost. Heart rate doubles. "Focus, man, focus."
Of course, yes, all I need is a lamp, I thought, & pushed on into the---- What the heck was that? French? Yes, French people are speaking. How can a little girl that age know French already? ! And then I hear the German, then the Hmong, then Spanish. Everyone from every where was there, & they were speaking & vertigo set in! "Focus, man, focus." I knew the languages because I used to teach at a middle school where 27 different languages were spoken. Very tough to do lesson plans. I cut through the 101 bathroom rugs section, grabbed the smallest one, rounded through the nine hundred different beds section, sprinted through the nine million hues of the bathroom towels sections, & wondered where the lamps were. Coming up? Maybe they're just past the nine thousand styles of shelves for children under ten. Nope. I had to jump on all the futon-like mattresses to pass a family of nine with lunch still on their shirts hogging the yellow brick road to no where. As I sprinted past the 6500 trivets I spotted the lamps. By the time I got there, my brain was fried: too many choices, too many colors, too many fabrics & metals & plastics. I grabbed the ONE lamp w/ no plastic & power walked through the rest of the store. I had a lamp shade on my head so I couldn't see any more products I wanted to buy.
Thirty nine of the fifty five check out lanes were open, so I paid w/ plastic & ran to my truck.
And all around me was the effect of the giant stadium event right down the street: bumper-2-bumper traffic. Did you know that bumper-2-bumper traffic is a metaphor for Ikea which is a metaphor for purgatory?
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Another de-LIGHT-ful tale by the Procrastinator anim-cheers1

I trust you removed the lampshade from your head before driving on towards your sister, otherwise you may just become the latest youtube sensation. But on the other hand, most people drive around as if they are wearing lampshades too....
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

My wife and daughters went to Ikea this weekend and asked if I would like to come...I said no.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Dear Sugs,
No one has ever accused me of having good judgement.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I had a bucketfull of chores to do today. The kitchen isn't finished, so I had painting to do. And so I painted, but then I couldn't do anything until the primer & coat number one had dried, so I went for a bike ride. I was actually in a holiday parade in La Jolla today for about four blocks(I was a little bummed out that no one threw a tomato at me). Then I got a flat & had to hobble home because of a big tear in the tire. So it took me a heckuva lot longer to get home after a measly 30 miles than it usually does.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? BUSTED BIG TIME. PUPPY WAS WATCHING THE ISLE OF MAN TT
PC050246.JPG
PC050246.JPG (107.14 KiB) Viewed 182 times
PC050245.JPG
PC050245.JPG (114.56 KiB) Viewed 182 times
PC050244.JPG
PC050244.JPG (114.03 KiB) Viewed 182 times
SIDECARS! REALLY? NOW, HE'S DREAMING.
PC050243.JPG
PC050243.JPG (106.81 KiB) Viewed 182 times
(There's that famous Ikea lamp off to the right. Hope you like it.)
Last edited by Patriccio on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

:mrgreen:
Attachments
:)
:)
1fdqhc.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 164 times
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I'm so glad the Puppy is housebroken. I had to lure him out of the house w/ a 93 octane micro brew & a promise of new tire warmers.
If I ever finish the kitchen, I'll buy the polishing compound for the new paint & move on.

{Lil star on 5speed's forehead for innovative comment}
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Like acetone in a paper cut the sunshine seeped into the master bedroom this morning, and it was even before the redolence of fresh brewed coffee crept up the stairs to feather my nostrils. That creeping-up-the-stairs aroma can't even happen because the automatic coffee maker broke years ago. The audacity of the sun to rise before the opening of my eyes. . . My, how my mind plays tricks on me. Why it was only yesterday that I was admiring Mrs. Woodburn's lovely legs as a savvy kindergartner. With skills taught to me by Mrs. Woodburn, I was able to finish the kitchen today.
PC080248.JPG
PC080248.JPG (73.22 KiB) Viewed 132 times
PC080250.JPG
PC080250.JPG (74.91 KiB) Viewed 132 times
I picked up some 3M polishing compound, so my next step is to polish that paint job I nearly finished (It feels like I was in first grade when I started this project).
Procrastinator Patriccio over 'n out fer now.
Attachments
PC080249.JPG
PC080249.JPG (82.98 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Ten minutes into running the polishing machine, I was ready to put the task off until tomorrow.
Half an hour into the task, & I was ready to seek out physical therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome in conjunction w/ a slightly stoopid attitude.
An hour into my job as the polisher, & I was ready to call a headhunter to look for another job.
I tried to attach the machine to the work table, but it shook up the whole neighborhood, so I had to resort to holding the machine w/ one hand & holding the piece w/ the other. Bummer though, my favorite face got splattered w/ polishing compound. Unfixable!
Attachments
PC100254.JPG
PC100254.JPG (103.46 KiB) Viewed 108 times
PC100256.JPG
PC100256.JPG (114.17 KiB) Viewed 108 times
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Front fender after an hour 'n a half. I started w/ the gray #2 compound & the red heavy cut foam disc. The fender was tough because of all the protrusions, but I got off most of the orange peel. Then I went to the orange/medium & then to the blue light cut dis w/ the #1 compound. As you can see there's a bit of orange peel around the rivet. I'll polish it a bit more.
PC100267.JPG
PC100267.JPG (59.74 KiB) Viewed 107 times
PC100262.JPG
PC100262.JPG (55.7 KiB) Viewed 107 times
PC100257.JPG
PC100257.JPG (105.25 KiB) Viewed 107 times
Last edited by Patriccio on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Then it was Back to Black by the Rolling Stones. (We all know it's Paint it Black)
PC100269.JPG
PC100269.JPG (97.81 KiB) Viewed 107 times
PC100271.JPG
PC100271.JPG (89.8 KiB) Viewed 107 times
PC100272.JPG
PC100272.JPG (87.86 KiB) Viewed 107 times
PC100274.JPG
PC100274.JPG (88.43 KiB) Viewed 107 times