1981 Goldwing Going Naked

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: 1981 Goldwing Going Naked

Post by brokentoe »

Yes, that's the turn signal buzzer. Annoying little part. Mine is broke. I like it that way. :)
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Turn signal buzzer. Will make noise when the turn signals are on, to remind you to turn them off. If you don't want it, just unplug it, no harm done
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Cool. It is a turn signal buzzer. I think I will unplug it. I have enough wires to hide and the flashing light should be enough of a hint to know the the turn signal is flashing.

While I am on the topic of wires... I am going from a GL1100I to a naked bike. I have a rats nest of wires under my headlamp. I was thinking about stuffing them into a fork tool bag, but so far, that isn't going, or looking, so good. Plus, it is pushing the headlamp up.

I do not see this mess on factory Gl1100s and I am not sure why they put all those wires in the fork weight of the GL1100I, but I would like to "get rid of" or hide it better. Any ideas or tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Any pages of how others did this (with pics) could help.

The image below isn't mine but the rats nest of wires I need to hide or get rid of looks about the same. I took off the mounting fork brackets and shell, so mine in now just a mess of wires. Image from... http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... l1100.html

Thanks
Attachments
gl1100 fork wires.jpg
gl1100 fork wires.jpg (78.35 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Well, sir, I have the same ganglion of wires. This is not a Ducati Monster; it's a spaghetti monster!
On my bike, a 1980 GW Interstate, I think I will have to rewire it. I have the wiring diagrams, but I have no hints on how to do it. There is nothing intuitive about the task. Va con suerte.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

TNTbefree wrote:snip........
I do not see this mess on factory Gl1100s and I am not sure why they put all those wires in the fork weight of the GL1100I, but I would like to "get rid of" or hide it better. Any ideas or tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Actually it is on a standard bike too, you just don't see it. All of those wires are crammed in to the headlight bucket.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Over the years they get messed with, and don't fit. I have found that if you unplug everything, the un twist them, and put them back in, in a orderly manner, they will all fit in the headlight shell. I just added a fairing to a 77, and installed the wires in a fake headlight light shell between the forks, closing it off with the rubber headlight cover that came with the fairings. no problems, and its all tucked in neat
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

I have heard that the wires would fit into the headlight bucket, but I ordered a headlight from ebay that was listed for the gl1100. It is a good bit smaller than the original. There was just enough room in the bucket to fit the headlight plug. Not enough room to stuff in that big ol' rats nest of wires.

What other options do I have? The easier the better...
Attachments
This is the light I bought off ebay.  It is nice, just a bit smaller than the original.
This is the light I bought off ebay. It is nice, just a bit smaller than the original.
gl1100 headlight.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Dude, there are extra wires because of all the bells 'n whistles on the Interstate--radio, voltmeter, altimeter, speedo, tach, Sonicare plug adapter, Dish TV future fit plug, metric Zippo lighter polishing pocket!
Here's my plan: make sure the bike runs properly, then remove unnecessary wires one by one, and each time making sure it runs properly.
I know there are guys on this site who have removed extraneous wiring, but I've not found a posting w/ step by step instructions.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Ya. That was what I was thinking. Take out as many wires as I can. Shorten the ones that are too long, and hide what I must.

Speaking of the bike running good...

My brother came over tonight and I was showing him how she was coming along. I fired her up and she is running great but we kept hearing a "clunk - clunk" coming from the engine.

As far as we can tell, it sounds like something is loose and flopping around in the STATOR/ALTERNATOR housing. I have no idea what could be banging around in there, it seems to be charging fine, but it looks as if I am going to have to pull the motor and check it out and replace the stator.

Anyone know of a good write up on how to pull the engine and replace the stator? Also, anyone care to take a guess as to what is in the stator housing banging around?
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Pull the inspection cover on the rear cover over the stator, and make sure the bolt that holds the stator rotor is tight
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

CYBORG wrote:Pull the inspection cover on the rear cover over the stator, and make sure the bolt that holds the stator rotor is tight
Ok. Can I assume that to do this I have to pull the motor out? If so, do you happen to know of a good write up on how to do this?
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

TNTbefree wrote:
CYBORG wrote:Pull the inspection cover on the rear cover over the stator, and make sure the bolt that holds the stator rotor is tight
Ok. Can I assume that to do this I have to pull the motor out? If so, do you happen to know of a good write up on how to do this?

No, just take a 17mm wrench and take the cover off. It is at the back of the engine. Access it from the LH side, rear of the engine, just above the foot peg. Not a lot of room to see it or get to it. Then I use a 3/8" drive ratchet with a 12mm socket to check the stator bolt.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Also, TNTbefree, you can go to the Shop Talk page & glean skazillions of pieces of info about these bikes.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Well, I found out that the stator bolt was a wee bit loose, but it is still making that knocking noise. I made a video and tried to capture the noise. Can ya'll take a listen and see if you can tell what it is? I'll try to post the video here, if it doesn't work, here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqAD3x ... e=youtu.be

Last edited by TNTbefree on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

I would disassemble to discover the knocking. I wouldn't run it either. There is oil in the engine, yes?