MAKING A TRIKE

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Shadow Dreamer
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: MAKING A TRIKE

Post by Shadow Dreamer »

transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

The exhaust studs are easily made from lengths of brass hex, and making them on a lathe makes the job a lot more accurate and doable. I don't have a copyright on the idea!

work this last week or so has been on repairing glitches in the harness (again, keep finding more) wiring up one of the rear lights and making the brake pipes for the Morris Minor axle. Well, having a practice go anyway. Long time since I made pipe flares so had to run a few off before they looked good enough to use. Splashed out on a tiny pipe bender too, so they look professional rather than bent around a bean can.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Rear light, left hand side, looking back, wired into a connector block then taped up with self-amalgamating. White lead will go to the frame and an alloy checker plate panel covers it.

Also working away on the white paint, tricky colour white, takes lots of coats to cover and gets marked easily. Don't know what fool chose it.

Still haven't done the coils. Looked at them a couple of times.

Had to redo the gear change widget, put it back the way it was as it was fouling the starter connexion. Then had to fiddle a bit to keep it off the exhaust. also had to spend hours fettling the stepped bushes to get just the right amount of free play on the lever arm.

Tried to fit the lower radiator pipe - failed. Ordered a new one. I finished up cutting it too short so I have no idea how to squeeze it in yet.

Drilled the holes in the back seat-back tubes to locate the locking bolts for holding down the tank. Got to drill the tank top yet to fit the sender. Keep putting that off, too.

Had to pause from the trike to work on wife's car. Brake warning light stuck on, went to open the bonnet and the catch came off in my hand, got it open with pliers and found the brake level sender broken off the filler cap. Ordered some new parts, hope it all goes back together. Joys of old cars. At least the new Yeti is ok, oh, forgot about the diesel scandal recall.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Tidied up the cabling around the starter solenoid and fitted a new battery lead

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (292.58 KiB) Viewed 332 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (201.39 KiB) Viewed 332 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (197.6 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Sorry the top 2 came out sideways, not sure why, anyway 3 pics showing the handbrake wheel attachment, the compensator and the whole lot. Got to redo the lever ratchet to make the indents more positive.

Doesn't sound a lot for a few weeks work but that's it for now.
"Say not the struggle naught availeth." A H Clough.

'78 GL1000 Trike
1st bike: '58 150cc Ambassador 2 stroke. learned how to chuck it down the road
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
3 BSA Bantams, now a daughter has one
'78 Honda 500T
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Wondered if your Yeti was subject to the great diesel scandal of VW...

Everything is looking great! action1
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

Quite a bit done since last post. fitted the front brake lines except for the banjo bolts which are in the post, and fitted the throttle cables too. Also fitted the coils, wiring not finished, still got to connect to the points and fit the ballast, but finally understand the wiring diagram.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (185.27 KiB) Viewed 305 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (187.17 KiB) Viewed 305 times
This will hopefully be the final fuel tank set up, I think it will look ok like this.
Got the fuel line ready to fit too. Bolted the seat down and working on the foot boards.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (188.47 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Both hoses fitted, they were fun. May have to wriggle the lower one around a bit to avoid that sharp bend.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.27 KiB) Viewed 305 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (220.67 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Will turn the trike around to do the painting and also fit the rear mudguards and the right hand rear light unit and the bumper bar. That and the foot board work will almost finish the building works. Still got things like the dashboard and screen to do, but probably no more welding.
The seat backs and headrests are with an upholsterer and will take 6 weeks or so to finish. That's another job I am not up for doing.
Paint prep on the panels is also in hand, but that will be a long job.

Sorry about the pic alignment, they were the right orientation in my picture file, don't know how to fix it, and it's been ok for the last 4 years!

And that's it for now...

'78 GL1000 Trike
'31 BSA 500 single long stroke Sloper, dug out of a wall in Sussex, never went that well...
'49 Sunbeam S8, built from bits in '67, used daily, sold to a US biker in '84, still miss it
'78 Honda 500T
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Really starting to look like a trike. Good work as usual.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

After more phone calls to Old Fogey found all 5 gears by pulling the front cover and twiddling (a technical term) the selector. So, yippee! Did not have to pull the engine!
Then had a long Skype chat with John. Did I know about the scavenge pump gasket problem? No.
Had I taken off the back cover when the engine was out? No.
So I new nothing about the state of the clutch, alternator, scavenge pump or starter motor clutch? No.
I could tell by the look on his face what my next job was.
The engine was still dry, the carbs just sitting there, the only connects were the hoses and the prop shaft. So it was just a 2 and a bit hours to get the engine up on the hoist, and another hour or so to wheedle (another technical term) off the rear cover.

to be honest, the whole build a trike thing has been a bit of a stretch, so I put thoughts of other problems on hold until I could find a little brain space. The trike is well enough along now to take time out to look at the rest.

Pic time:
Cutting to the chase:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (264.48 KiB) Viewed 269 times
2 0r 3 coils show signs of overheating.
Scavenge pump is a bit mucky inside but cleaned up nicely with 1000 grade paper on a mirror. Put a new gasket in and a new o ring, and saw that the countersunk screws were slightly different in length as their thread depth varied.
image.jpg
image.jpg (246 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Starter clutch rollers look ok but up close there are some fine surface marks. The sprocket journal is good, and after a good clean the outer contact surfaces polished up nicely. They look like phosphor bronze which may explain why there is no provision for lubrication. The roller bearing was fine, had a good coat of oil and the oil holes were clear. Looks like the chain carries enough oil mist there.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (206.02 KiB) Viewed 269 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (206.6 KiB) Viewed 269 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (195.02 KiB) Viewed 269 times
So now got to order a new rear gasket, 2 chains and a starter clutch repair kit. And a new stator. Total cost probably quite a lot but much better than have things break on the road. So thanks, Old Fogey, couldn't manage without you.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG (237.7 KiB) Viewed 238 times
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG (242.92 KiB) Viewed 238 times
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG (292.96 KiB) Viewed 238 times
So much for everything going so well...
Decided to look at starter before putting it back. managed to turn the connecting post so sheared off the lead inside the starter. Pulled it apart and it was in an awful state, fortunately, so I didn't feel so bad for being ham fisted. New starter ordered.
Whilst waiting for it I put the clutch back together carefully tightening the springs down, half a turn at a time, took ages. Finally put the correct torque on the first bolt and it sheared off. Carefully undid the others, took the pressure plate to the drill stand, spent more than an hour drilling the bolt out without touching the plate, turned it over and saw it was cracked...
Found one second hand Stateside at a fair price and shipping, should be here next week or week after. Cost will no doubt double with import duty, customs handling and VAT.
Feeling a bit gutted after $300 or so gone and a lot of time wasted. As Old Fogey said, welcome to the world of high cost old bikes!
Trying to crack on with other jobs whilst the engine stands in the corner.
My wife calls it character building, bless!
Pics looked particularly uninspiring being just a new starter and an old bit of clutch so added a pic of when it was all together a few weeks ago. Liking the shiny back mudguards.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Destined to be, "Trike of the Year." ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

gltriker wrote:Destined to be, "Trike of the Year." ;)
Which year would that be, Barry? :twisted:

Only kidding, I think you are definitely making progress. With a build like that there is always going to be the one step forward, three or more back.

"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

you may be having a job keeping up. I have now fitted the third clutch pressure plate, and whilst torquing up to the correct value, ever so carefully now, after a few expensive failures, the clutch lifting plate broke.
photo (3)-001.JPG
photo (3)-001.JPG (116.95 KiB) Viewed 204 times
This is a new and exciting break, not had this one before. To be honest I'm not too happy with Honda clutch build quality and searching online reveals only one second hand lifting plate in the whole world for sale, for around $100, or nearer $160 with VAT, customs and handling charges.
And it could break, just like mine.
New plan
drove down to local metal selling man, he runs a big production plant making all sorts of heavy things, but being a nice guy, sells me little offcuts and stuff I need. Anyway, he looks at the broken plate and suggests I make it from aluminium billet then get it hard anodised when finished.
So for the princely sum of $20 I buy a piece of round bar, 4.5 inches diameter and 4 inches long, and head off to the lathe and the mill, and will report back when its done.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Barrie,
Looking at the picture, you can imagine an almost perfect stress line from the bottom of each scalloped part through the bolt hole. I can't think that there is a requirement for the scallops. I would leave it round, or at least do much shallower scallops.
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

I will go with Old Fogey's advice and ignore the scallops completely. Can't see any need for them. I will also, if you imagine the other side, fill in the area where the springs seat as there does not seem to be any need for a waisting there. Also, and marginal, I can increase the thickness by the height of the step in the bearing housing (gaining ooh, perhaps a millimetre) and I will also ignore the ribbing and hollowing out on the side shown in the pic, should make it a little stronger. Then hard anodising will make a significant improvement too.

So this is where I am up to after 3 hours in the shed:
IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0319.JPG (241.92 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG (270.32 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG (256.36 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG (229.48 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_0326.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG (241.57 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Oh, dear! Really lost the plot on pics now. Sorry. Any advice appreciated, I have had a session on the test site but got nowhere. The pics are the right way up when I select them from the folder.

The lowest one shows the bearing in the press just ready to pop out. Next one up shows one of the faces just starting to clean up. third pic from the bottom is centring the work, I'm using a 4 jaw chuck so it has to be done manually. Second pic from the top is cutting the centre hole after both faces have been cut and the top pic is where I'm up to now, with part of the bearing housing roughed out, leaving 150 thou for cleaning up.
hope to get on with it again tomorrow, see how far I get.
It's nice work, when you can get it!

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

This new plate will surely be both stronger and heavier than stock. I wonder if you will notice any "fly wheel effect".
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Easter wrote:This new plate will surely be both stronger and heavier than stock. I wonder if you will notice any "fly wheel effect".
The difference in weight between the two won't be noticeable. I stuck a great big 1200 clutch in mine, the weight of which must be half as much again as the standard 1000 clutch, with no obvious difference.
transitman
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by transitman »

IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG (150.68 KiB) Viewed 156 times
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG (144.05 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Interesting. The pics are the right way up. This time took them in landscape using the iPad, and they popped up ok. Those 2 scratches on the left side were deliberate, made them with the tool bit to help me see whether I needed to cut again. Working a recess is tricky.

Anyway, you can see where I've made it beefy but the main dimensions are accurate.
Did a trial fit and it seemed OK, all the bolts went in easy enough.

Put 17 hours into it, perils of being an amateur turner working a hobby lathe. Parting off alone took over 3 hours but it means I've got enough stock to make one more with holes ready drilled. Got a new bearing ready, going into Runcorn tomorrow to try and get it anodised.

'78 GL1000 Trike
'78 Honda 500T