Started this project prior to last winter and then got delayed due to unforseen issues.
Back on it now and things are progressing well.
Completed so far:
1. Carbs rebuilt by Pistol Pete.
2. Timing belts replaced.
3. Front calipers rebuilt and painted.
4. Ordered brake pads.
5. Bunch of parts with Deek to get powder coated.
6. Seat modified and recovered.
7. Side covers are upholstered.
8. Modified the hard bags to eliminate the stock turn signal location.
9. Hard bags are with the upholsterer.
10. Modified rear fender to eliminate the swing up making the fender one piece but not loosing the length. Took out the two bolt locations.
11. Still haven't decided on painting the front, rear, fender and faux tank or get them covered ... still thinking that one through.
12. Removed the rear trunk and trunk rack. Installed the rear grab rail with the harb bag rack and made two brackets to attach the hard bags to since the grab rail was not designed for that application ... is now.
13. Bunch of cleaning. Amazing where the dirt gets when you start removing stuff. Engine top was in good shape and required no painting.
14. Radiator and it's component parts have all been cleaned and painted.
15. Stock fork ears have been removed and sold to someone that can use them, did not want to cut the tabs off for the turn signals. Have replacements from Cresent Moon.
To do ... a lot. Haven't figured out the rear turn signals yet. Put everything back together correctly ... glad I took a lot of pictures.
Started with this. Purchased the bike and then tore it apart to give it a good cleaning. Since then I've moved across the state and replaced the fairing with a windshield. Summer 1995
This was as far as I got before lung sickness: Fall 2008:
Now it looks like this in the garage: Spring 2009 ... New lungs and new determination.
Radiator and components:
Mock up with seat and side covers:
More to come
Suggestions on color or upholstery for the fenders and faux tank are welcome ... having fun now
"Live Long, Ride Free"
"Life is too short to work all the time ... get out and ride"
"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching"
1982 GL1100I "now just nekkid"
"Nothing more to read here ... move along"