StevenM's 78 GL1000 Project

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

StevenM's 78 GL1000 Project

Post by StevenM »

My first step was to use Whiskerfish's method for getting my stuck motor unstuck. I used the Marvel Mystery Oil and PB blaster soak method described in his post. Today, after only one week of soaking, The engine moved and some MMO shot out!!!! I will continue following his outline until I can get it ready to turn over by the starter. I know many of you recommend replacing the belts even before doing the compression check so I'll probably do that first. I was relieved to get this far, so now I can start thinking ahead towards some of the other needs she has. I was holding off on the gas tank cleaning but now I may go ahead and get it looked at to see if it is usable. I'll probably use the Radiator Shop method.

I have everything off the frame except the motor. I will need front and rear brakes for sure as they are all frozen and dried up. I flushed out the radiator and it ran clear water with no rust evident. Can I be reasonably certain it is okay or should I take it to the shop also?

I have the carbs off and ready to send out for rebuilding. I have been waiting to get the motor unstuck and now only $$$ may hold me up with the carbs.

I can't post pictures yet as I am a very recent member of this forum. I will get some posted here when I can.

Thanks,
StevenM
StevenM
1978 Honda GL1000 "Scrap Iron"
2006 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad "Black Pearl"
1997 Yamaha 535 Virago "Mini Pearl" (Hers)
2008 Piggy Backer Cargo Trailer, "Sold..sadly.."
polkadot
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by polkadot »

I just had my radiator cleaned and pressure checked. It was only $35.00 so I think it was worth having a shop do it. Ernie
Hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes!

1977 Candy Sirus Blue Wing (gone but not forgotten!): Ernie's 77 Resto
1998 Yellow/Creme Valkyrie (sold): Valk Redo
1976 Sulfur Yellow Wing (sold): Melloyellow to live again
1976 LTD #1353 (sold): And away we go . . . . LTD style
1970 CT90 (sold): Had too much time on my hands so . . .
1/4 of 1975 Wing #898 (Sold): Team 898 - raised from the ashes
70ish Benelli Dynamo Scrambler (sold): Erector Set/Treasure Hunt aka Benelli Dynamo
1/6 of 1976 LTD #993 (Sold): LTD 993 . . . and so it begins
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Nice to hear when a few old tricks do the job!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

You might consider doing the carbs yourself with Randak's video. If you have more time than extra money you'd learn a lot.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
cfox
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by cfox »

The radiator will most likely be clogged with silicates if the PO didn't use SILICATE FREE coolant (looks like sand). If wasn't leaking when you got it and it flows good when you put a garden hose to it it's probably okay. Pull the thermostat housing and clean the gunk out real good especially around the temperature sender and put a new thermostat in it as well as a new radiator cap and hoses.
Also after rebuilding your carbs and fuel tank be SURE to flush the fuel pump REAL GOOD. I thought I flushed mine good enough but after only a short while running the engine the diaphragm came apart and sent lots of trash into my freshly rebuilt clean carbs neccessitating another tear down and clean up of the carb rack. In retrospect I should have just put a new fuel pump on before the first startup or at least a good used one.
'78 GL 1000
'06 Triumph Speedmaster
'77 GL1000
'78 CX500
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

You're going in the right direction.

I'm with Cookie, get into those carbs yourself. You'll get a much better end product that way.
StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Thanks

Post by StevenM »

Thanks for the tips guys!!! Please keep them coming!!!

Steve
StevenM
StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Need more posts to include picture.

Post by StevenM »

I spent some time today on my project. I took everything off the radiator to get it ready for the shop. I also removed the center stand and cleaned/lubed and reinstalled it. No paint yet. That will come in time. I also removed and painted the side stand and put the brake pedal back on.

I moved the engine a bit and resoaked the cyls. I have been doing small stuff waiting to see how the engine will come through the unsticking process. The wife doesn't want to spend any money until we know how the engine comes out. I have been cleaning and de-rusting screws, bolts and other small parts that may end up being serviceable in the end.

The efforts I am taking may be small but the feeling of where each part fits into the grand scheme of things makes it time well spent. If not on this particular project, perhaps another one.

My first endeavor of this kind was getting my 82 Honda 450 Custom roadworthy. No engine work was required but I did replace the gas tank, made some electrical repairs and some general cleanup to get if back on the road.

I'll try to get a picture of the project bike up next. I still have't reached my required 5 posts yet.

Steve
StevenM
StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

78 GL1000 First Picture

Post by StevenM »

Here is my project bike!!! Funny how they look so much better in a picture than in real life.

Steve

StevenM
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

It looks better than a lot of our before pix!
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
Roady

Post by Roady »

Your wife's advice is solid.

Lube, belts, hoses and stop the rust. Then get it running good. New shoes(?), brakes, dielectric the connectors ... and then wax the body panels.

Touch up paint on the frame and body if needed.

Then ride it like you stole it!
paultjack
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by paultjack »

First thing I did was get the engine running before I did any more work on the bike. That included soldering wires while it was snowing on me! But, I was very glad when the ole girl fired up and very relieved! After that I knew I had a real project on my hands and not just a parts bike.

I just (mostly) finished my restoration project. I can say that your bike looks to be in better condition than what mine was when I started. This site was invaluable in helping me at most every turn. Be sure to use the Shop Talk!

I began with my restoration thread, but if I had specific questions I put those in separate threads because of the visibility of those threads was greater than just asking in my restoration thread. Looks like after the initial posts in the restoration thread some members will get bored of it and not check in any further. So, by asking questions separately you can get more responses. I also put the results into my restoration thread to help anyone who was following it.

Good luck with your project! I'm looking forward to the pics!
Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked, in the head, by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens. - Capt. Rex Kramer

'78 Honda GL1000 GoldWing
'86 Honda CMX450C Rebel
StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Progress report

Post by StevenM »

Well, things are moving rather slowing with the project but I have been making progress.

Here are some recent accomplishments:
Installed new battery, solenoid and rewired some around the solenoid.
Installed in-line 30 amp fuse.
Cleaned neg battery cable at engine mount.
Took radiator and gas tank to the radiator shop for cleaning. Although I took a considerable amount of rust out of the gast tank, the guy said it looked pretty solid and he thought it may come out okay and he will coat it.
Got the stuck brake caliper pistons loose to see what needed replacing, although I am a long way from rebuilding them.

Thanks for all the help with my project.

Steve
StevenM
Roady

Post by Roady »

I'm glad to see that you're working on it. Do you have a planned launch date yet or are you going to play it by ear?
StevenM
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by StevenM »

Hey Roady,
No real date set. I am selling a gun and my Honda CM450 which will give me some $$$ to get things rolling along. I think that by the time the $$$ comes in, I'll be spending some time working on the bike and coming back into the house to ask you guys for some more help. It should be an eventful winter.

Thanks for participating in my adventure!!!

Steve
StevenM