Diamond in the Rough: My 75 Goldwing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Diamond in the Rough: My 75 Goldwing

Post by BigBrian27 »

RAT wrote:Here's a link for Apex Brakes .... I find them very accommodating for brake stuff ....

sales@rennsportautoparts.com

Gord
Do they have a website? I couldn't find anything online. That link you sent is just an email.
1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
1992 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

Solid rotors suck! I have the PDF for the rotor drilling template, PM me if you would like a copy.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

Patriccio wrote:BigBrian,
Good call on the bars. I installed clubmans & had to install stops at the triple tree because the bars hit my faux tank/shelter.
I also eliminated the brake line splitter, & the look is cleaner. Also, when I replaced the clutch cable I had to lower the light a bit, then I recently installed a small guide on the R fork so the clutch cable wouldn't catch on the top of the headlight. I may have to reroute the cable, though.
I think I bought my double banjo bolt from Pro Bolt. Also, check my build p.34, March 17th; there's a pic of the headlight, & you can see where the clutch cable might catch the top of the light. That's why I had to lower & install a small bracket.
Don't forget, everything is going to be OK.
I think I may need to replace the clutch cable. I am unable to pull it unless I relieve the tension on the choke lever at the carbs. The previous owner said it needed replacement when I purchased the bike. I think I may try to lube it first depending on the cost of a new one. Just looked, a new one is $12. Gonna just bite the bullet and order a new one.

I checked out page 34 of your build thread. When I have more time I will read the whole thing, seems like a good deal of good information on there. I will check out Pro Bolt for the banjo!

Thanks again!

Solid rotors suck! I have the PDF for the rotor drilling template, PM me if you would like a copy.
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

Rock on! :flamer

-Brian

BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

I am going to sync the carbs this weekend. Currently the fuel tank is getting treated for rust so I have been running the bike from my fuel can. It has 87 octane in it from August. I will empty it into my winter beater and refill it with fresh 91 octane and some fuel stabilizer in order to have the best results. I printed out the carb synch process from randakks site but any other tips/tricks from the pros before I begin? This is my first time doing a carb sync.

Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Uh oh. Brian states that I have a "good deal of good information." Please, someone sit him down & offer him a subtle but stern warning regarding The Procrastinator's Monthly Report.
Thanks to all. Happy trails.
P.S. You can build your own gauges for the sync. If you go to a pet store, you can buy those little valves to install in the air lines for the sync process. I found that the needles on the gauges don't waver as much when you adjust the little valves.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Take a peak under fuel pump cover to make sure you don't have a bunch of rust specs hiding there to reinfect you idle jets.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

Thanks for the tips guys! I cleaned out the fuel pump when I rebuilt the carbs so there should be no problems there. Regarding the carb sync guages l was going to make my own but ended up buying a set.

Looks like my carb sync is going to have to wait however.

BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

Last night I had some extra time after working out. I decided to replace the timing belts, install my new tensioners and replace the thermostat.

All went fairly easy. Turns out my water pump is also in need of replacement. So the carb sync will need to wait until that gets replaced.

Ooh also my LED turn signals came in!
Attachments
1209162026.jpg
1209162026.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 198 times
1209162027.jpg
1209162027.jpg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 198 times
1209162137.jpg
1209162137.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 198 times
1209162138.jpg
1209162138.jpg (130.91 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

So if you're in Scranton, tell my buddy Tony C. I said "Yo." He's a PE teacher. Thnx.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

Patriccio wrote:So if you're in Scranton, tell my buddy Tony C. I said "Yo." He's a PE teacher. Thnx.
I'm about 1.5 hrs from Scranton.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You'll probably not be hassled, but DOT has a measurement of how far turn signals should be from the headlight. Looking at newer cars, I can't see how they could hold bikes to a different standard. Newer Honda Civic cars' turn signals are almost indistinguishable to me at night.

Sometimes a fixit ticket is an easy option for a policeman to give you a break. Like if you going 160kph and you're polite and have a clean record- - not that ever happened to me. Okay it did, and when I was handed the ticket he said, "Slow down a bit. I like to drive fast too." ??
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

ericheath wrote:You'll probably not be hassled, but DOT has a measurement of how far turn signals should be from the headlight. Looking at newer cars, I can't see how they could hold bikes to a different standard. Newer Honda Civic cars' turn signals are almost indistinguishable to me at night.

Sometimes a fixit ticket is an easy option for a policeman to give you a break. Like if you going 160kph and you're polite and have a clean record- - not that ever happened to me. Okay it did, and when I was handed the ticket he said, "Slow down a bit. I like to drive fast too." ??
Good call. I actually thought about that while mounting the turn signals. I'm going to take the chance and leave them like that. I doubt I will be hassled but if I do, I will change them.

BigBrian27
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BigBrian27 »

I started taking the front cover off to access the water pump. Wow those phillips screws are tough! I have an impact driver so that is definitely helping but the frame is making things difficult.

I also started to remove the cover for the oil screen and wow, that last bolt on the right side appears to be un-accessible while the engine is in the frame. I will try to use a bit and get a wrench on it but I have a feeling the engine may be coming out of the frame as that will also aid in removing the bolts from the front cover. Decisions, decisions...

Something of note, I pulled off the exhaust to get to the bolts for the oil screen and I immediately noticed that I had an aftermarket set of pipes. They are not the horseshoe type they are headers. The welds are horrendous, as they appear to have been welded by Stevie Wonder. Nevertheless, nothing a grinder couldn't clean up. As I turned them over, I noticed they had rusted through and were not fit for use. Oh well... I was planning on replacing them with a Delkovic unit anyway.

Pics to come!

Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

I've been thinking of naming my next build "camel" in reference to the proverb about the camel that was invited into the tent and just kept getting bigger with more and more humps as it edged its way in.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: