Oxidation in CX650 Head

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

mytown
Tin Member
Tin Member

Oxidation in CX650 Head

Post by mytown »

I found this CX650 engine of unknown history and have been told that the oxidation that appears in the pictures would not be a problem if I cleaned it out. I'm seeking other opinions.
007a.jpg
007a.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 279 times
003a.JPG
003a.JPG (61.36 KiB) Viewed 279 times
010.JPG
010.JPG (60.37 KiB) Viewed 279 times
There is no sign of oxidation in the other head. If I were to just clean it out, what would be the best way of doing so? Thanks.
1982 GL1100 GoldWing Interstate
1981 GL500 SilverWing Interstate
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Oxidation in CX650 Head

Post by Gowing »

Clean as best you can and use. Are you going to pull apart and lap the valves and re valve stem seal it?
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

You have a loaded question there. I am guesing the bike was left out side for a while and water got in the intake. I have seen worse run fine with no more than a little brushing to remove the loose fuzz and blow it out with air.
But It is also possible that some water got past the valves and the cylinder is just as rusty. Does it turn over easily and smoothly with the plugs out? If not the head might need to come off anyway. One more possibility is that the head gasket was the source for the moisture and it could use more in-depth look.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

Mytown I wanted to agree with salukispeedo
The bigger concern would be pitting & rust on the valve stem and any water that got down in to the cylinder.
The other thing to add is there might be no problem at all & we all are over reactiong.
If it was my project I would flood it goodly with MMO & pull the sparkplugs & put some MMO down there also.
Go ahead & do the other side also.
see if the engine turns over freely..
DO NOT USE THE STARTER to spin the engine.
Use a wrench & do it slowly.
If it seems to spin OK I would put the carbs on & run it
If is it froze up then you got some decisions to make.
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
Missourimike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Missourimike »

Everyone posting has given good advice. If the exhaust was left open to atmosphere, I would presume that is where the moisture came from. I'd vacuum out any debris, with the valves closed. Blowing air into the chamber might force some particles to lodge between the piston and cylinder wall. Any good penetrating oil(not WD40) should be allowed to sit for awhile in the chamber. Then turn the engine over, with the spark plugs removed. Much easier to spin over. Once the motor is run for awhile, you will know whether or not it was a coolant leak that was the source of moisture. I'd not tear into anything until the facts warranted such work, unless you have lots of time and money to spend on a needless teardown.
The difficult can be done in a day. The impossible takes a little longer, if you don't know it can't be done.
'75 GL YelloWing, '73 Norton Commando, '79 CB750, '80 Fiat Spyder, '83 Silverado w/ BB Cad, to name a few.
'79 Black Hondaline/Vetter bagger Tourer
'76 Yello Café to be
'83 CX650C Needs Work
'83 CX650C #2 Daily Rider
'79 Yamaha XS750
10 others in the project/parts pile