Just picked up a CX650

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Just picked up a CX650

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Yeah. Footpegs only need springs if they are going to touch something. Mine are rusted so solid that you couldn't move them with a hammer but I don't care - my bike doesn't lean anyway Image
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

I've been really busy lately with work, and exams are coming up in class, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the 650. But I did get about an hour yesterday afternoon to get out to the garage. I made up some front gas tank mounts:

I also got my spoked rear wheel and mounted it:

It needs new bearings since the VT800 it came off of had a 20mm rear axle and the CX650 has a 17mm rear axle. But that will just be a matter of finding the right size bearings. I haven't double-checked but I think the CX650 bearings will work in the VT800 wheel. Once I have it mounted properly, I'll be sending it off to Buchanan to have the hub laced to an 18" rim. I have a 21" spoked wheel for the front on its way.

Here's where she sits now:

It's in the frustrating middle stages of the project, where most of the dramatic big changes have been made but there are still a lot of little things to do that always end up taking twice as long as you expect. But I'm still pleased with how it's coming along.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1993 GL1500 SE - frame-up restoration in progress
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Good solution for the wheels. I prefer Comstars to wire spoked wheels but you can't have everything ;)

Are those rubber stoppers you used for the tank mounts? If so, +1 for ingenuity.

Have you thought about tires yet? I have used Kenda K270s on the back of mine for snow tires in the past and I really liked them (note that my requirements are very much different from yours).

This year I am going with Duros - HF307 for the front and HF904 for the rear. The pic doesn't do the HF307 justice - if I had seen what it really looks like I might have bought one for the rear too, although I suspect the HF904 will be quieter.
ImageImage

I have done well with Kendas over the years but I am becoming a fan of Duros too. On the recommendation of the Ural crowd I put HF308s on the front & sidecar wheels of my 'Wing (they don't make it to fit my 'Wing's rear) and like the way they feel. I will be replacing the front in the spring at a bit over 21,000 Km - not bad for a semi-knobby on a sidecar outfit and it still grips not too badly in the wet even worn enough to significantly change the tread pattern tumb2
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Good eye - they are indeed stoppers. I was at Lowe's getting some new bolts for an old bicycle and happened to notice that they had rubber stoppers. I got a pair, drilled a hole in them and they work great as rubber mounts for the tank! And yeah, I'd rather have Comstars, too, for the ability to run tubeless (and for the looks) but I didn't see an easy (affordable) way to make it happen.

I've looked at the Kendas and they look like a pretty decent tire. I was also considering the Shinko SR244 trials tire. Or possibly the Shinko 241, which is pretty similar to the Kenda 270. I haven't really looked at Duros, though, and that 307 does look like a nice tire. I'm not sure how much snow I'll be riding in, but I do plan to at least try riding in it. When it's really bad I'll probably wuss out and take my truck to work. If only I knew someone who could stud a set of motorcycle tires...
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Worked on the exhaust a little today. I have some leftover tubing I got when I used to be on a Formula SAE team - a bunch of 1.5" tube with various elbows. Here's one possible arrangement I came up with:

I like the way the pipe follows the contour of the frame under the seat, but this arrangement would block the petcock partially and the heat coming off the pipes might be a bit much to have right under my butt in the summer. Plus, it looks kind of "busy." I plan to use header wrap since I'm not nearly good enough at welding to keep the finished pipes bare. I will probably also fabricate some heat shields, but I'm just not sure how bad the heat will be off the pipes.

I was also thinking of either routing the pipe above the head instead of below, following below the tank and doing a similar "dip" to match the frame. Or, just keeping the headpipe where it is below the head and just going straight back across the middle of the bike. Thoughts?
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't know about that. It looks like it could get mighty warm. And it puts the heat pretty close to the tank too and we all know that warm fuel isn't a good idea :-?

I think I would go for a more conventional layout - below the footpegs and then back up along the rearmost frame upright with the mufflers hung right about where your mock up would put them. You will probably remove the passenger peg brackets (no passenger seat anyway) and their mounting points would be ideal for a mid pipe bracket. I wonder if the peg brackets could maybe be bolted to the frame by the fender to support the mufflers...
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

I don't suppose anyone knows the size of CX650C and VT800 rear wheel bearings? I have been google searching for a while but no luck so far. I'm hoping that the VT800 and CX650 outer diameters are the same. If so, awesome. If not, hopefully I can find a bearing set that has the same OD as the VT800 and a 17mm inner diameter to match the 650 axle.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the sizes, and it's good news - both bearings are 47mm x 14mm, the only difference is the ID. anim-cheers1
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

The CX650 drum brake didn't work with the VT800 wheel, so I ordered a VT800 brake. It fits perfectly:

Gotta love Honda parts-bin engineering.

I have proper wheel bearings on the way to match the VT800 wheel with the CX650 rear axle, so the only remaining issue with the rear wheel is that the drum brake plate has a 20mm hole. I need it to be 17mm. But looking at parts fiches, it looks like there is a bushing pressed into that hole that rides on the axle. The 650 brake plate is the same. I should be able to press out the bushings and swap them. Then I'll be ready to send the wheel off to Buchanan to have them lace a new rim to it.

Would it be better to have a 17" rear or an 18" rear? I'm not really sure. Most of the tires I'm looking at are available in either diameter.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I've only ever owned one bike with 17" wheels and at the time (6 years ago) there was only 1 dual sport or enduro tire available to fit it. Things may have changed since then. As far back as I can recall there have been lots of 18" options.

Other than that, if you are looking at tires with the same section the larger rim will raise the overall gearing a bit which translates to lower revs at speed and better fuel economy.

Raising the gearing is a common topic on the HTTA forum. I have never understood why they build bikes with such low gearing - maybe they figure better quarter mile times will sell :oldies Anyway, I just put the 120/90-18 on the back of my 650 and it is definitely not geared too high, even with the sidecar.

If the bushings in the brake plates can't be pressed out you may be able to find something that is 20mm OD and 17mm ID and press it into the hole. Or even 20mm OD and something smaller than 17 ID and press it in and bore it out.
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

I really wish I had more time to devote to this build, but I am always super busy at the end of the year (isn't everyone?) so I have only been able to work on the bike for an hour or so here and there. I want to ride this thing! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I got out of work early today so I headed home and went out to the garage. I got my front wheel in the mail, so I mounted it up:

Looks nice on there. I have to make some spacers for it, it's sitting about an inch too far to the left right now. But nothing major. So then I was standing there staring at the thing and I decided it would look much nicer with an empty rear triangle. There's actually quite a bit of room between the tank and the frame, so I think I can hide most of the electronics up under there. I pulled out the airbox and battery box, and unwrapped the wiring harness looking to see where I could shorten it up. Turns out there's a nice long run of wires, about 16" or so, without any splices or connectors or anything, that I could just cut out of the harness to make it shorter. So, I took a deep breath, grabbed my wire cutters, and turned this:

Into this:

It was at this point that I discovered that I am out of solder. :lol: Oh, well. I'll get some time to work on it later this week. The scope of this build has gotten quite a bit bigger than I originally anticipated (doesn't it always?), but I like where it's headed.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That front tire looks pretty good. What is it?

I was thinking that those side covers didn't look right with what you are doing tumb2

Since you removed the air box, I assume you will be changing to pod filters. You can find information about re-jetting the carbs on the Chopper Charles forum.

Where are you going to put the battery?
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:That front tire looks pretty good. What is it?

I was thinking that those side covers didn't look right with what you are doing tumb2

Since you removed the air box, I assume you will be changing to pod filters. You can find information about re-jetting the carbs on the Chopper Charles forum.

Where are you going to put the battery?

The tire is a Cheng Shin something-or-other that came with the wheel. It's actually in pretty good shape, I may run it for a while.

And yeah, I'll be running pod filters and Mikuni round slide carbs. I have already experienced what happens when you go messing with the intake with CV carbs, so I'm just going to make an end-run around that whole problem. This bike is going to be a commuter/weekend rider, it's probably never going to get more than a thousand miles from home, so I don't really need the CV's ability to adjust to elevation changes. The Mikunis should be much easier to tune, and should get me a little boost in power too.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I dunno about that. I used to have 2 cylinder Suzukis with Mikunis and I found them pretty hard to get synched/balanced even with the factory airboxes, and they didn't like to stay adjusted after I got them there. I have owned a GL500 and now the 650 and, at least with the original airbox, these carbs are not very fussy at all.

In fact, I once put the 500's carbs back together on a Sunday afternoon and set everything where the book says to start adjusting from but I didn't have time to synch them up so I decided to take it to work like that on Monday and do it Monday night. It ran so well that I forgot about it and when I remembered a couple of months later and put the gauges on they were so close to perfect that I left them alone. I put about 10-12,000 Km on the 650 every year and I put the gauges on it about every 2nd year.

Quite a few on the CC forum (including Charles) have changed to pods and the jetting is pretty much figured out by now, but if you are more comfortable with the Mikunis go for it.

Come to think of it, I remember reading that MurrayF has started selling Mikunis for transverse twins, complete with special manifolds and even cables on the CC forum. From what I have read this is a "hop up" mod and it could be just the sort of thing for a bike like you are building. If they are half as good as what people are saying about them they must really be something.
Marc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Marc »

Nice project. Just now started your thread, it's looking good!
Shalom, Marc

1975 GL1000 "Dresser"
1976 GL1000 Project Bike
1979 GL1000 Naked
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1970 Norton Commando
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

I like the look of it with the spokey wheels. Could you not run the high-level exhaust through where the airbox went in the triangle? This is what Yamaha did on the post 1976 XT500s.
XT500E.jpg
XT500E.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 444 times
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum