Just picked up a CX650

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Just picked up a CX650

Post by SloMo228 »

Well, I'm once again a CX owner. I just snagged a CX650 with 10K on it for $500. It turns over and has spark, but pukes fuel out of the carbs when the petcock is on. I'm planning on pulling them and rebuilding them with a Randakk kit. Funny how rebuilding the carbs was intimidating to me about 7 years ago when I had my CX500, after rebuilding GL carbs, two seems like a piece of cake.

It's a bit rough, and the '80s chopper styling makes me gag a little. I have a little bit of buyer's remorse since a nice-looking '78 CX500 Deluxe is also listed around me for $800, but then I remind myself of the extra 15HP I'll have and I feel better. :mrgreen:

I'll post some pictures soon, it was too dark to get good ones when I got it home.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1993 GL1500 SE - frame-up restoration in progress
1983 CX650C
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Just picked up a CX650

Post by Rat »

Nice grab.

Have fun with it.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Now, why can't I find deals like that?????? :mrgreen:

You know, if you really wanted to put in the extra work you could buy both, get the 650 running and sell it for more than you paid for the 500, and then find a 650 engine to put into the 500 and sell the 500 engine to cover most of the cost of that....

Just sayin'.... But it would be fun to do.... And they are just about the easiest bikes to work on.....
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

I have a build thread going over on advrider, but NGW is my favorite forum, so here's what I've been up to with the 650.

I started by stripping it down:

A bit more:

There we go:

Primed the frame:

Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

I'm going for a scrambler-style build, so the chopper tank had to go. I spent a lot of time on eBay hassling sellers for measurements and dimensions of gas tanks, and by sheer dumb luck, the first one I bought was a pretty close fit:

Looks pretty nice on there, I think. Next up was the front forks. I'm planning to use this bike for some gravel, fire roads, and maybe some two-track, so a decent suspension with good travel was my goal. As luck would have it, forks off of a XL600R are the same diameter as the 650 forks, and the axle is the same as well:

Now, I have one main problem still to solve. The 650 rear wheel is a 15" diameter, which is a no go for the dual-sport tires I'm planning to fit. So I have to figure something out. I thought (hoped) that a 17" rear from a VF700 Sabre would fit, and it does, but the offset is wrong, unfortunately:

I'm not sure if I can do anything about that. At this point, for the rear wheel, my options as I see them are these:

A CX650 Turbo 18" rear will fit with no problem. Unfortunately, that means additional fab work to make the rear disc work, and the Turbo rear discs are discontinued by Honda and are made out of pure unobtainium.

I have a spoked rear wheel from a VT800. Again, the offset will be slightly wrong as with the Sabre wheel, but with a spoked wheel, I can dish it a bit to correct for that. Unfortunately, it's a 52-spoke wheel so I'd have to have a custom rim made for about $250-$300. Not a deal-breaker but this is supposed to be a budget build, so this is kind of my last resort.

I am also considering getting a CX500 rear Comstar and trying to swap the drive flanges. They're both 5 bolt flanges but that's all I really know. There are a lot of unknowns for me going this route. It might be a simple swap, but I can't really find any information online to confirm whether this is even possible.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Rear wheel woes aside, work continued. I have a piece of flat trailer fender that I once had mounted on the swingarm of my GL1000. I cut off the support struts and it turns out to be a near-perfect match for the curve of the 650's rear frame horns, except for the end piece. So I cut that off:

And here's what the fender looks like, mocked up with the tank and spring seat I plan to use:

So that's where I am for now. I have some tubing coming in to make some high scrambler-style exhaust pipes, and I have a headlight. I'm thinking of using these gauges which were on my GL1000 before I swapped on an electronic dash:

I'll have more free time after this upcoming week, so stay tuned!
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

2 things:
- Make sure you seal the ends of the frame tubes if they are under the fender. I filled the ones on my CX650E based winter machine with silicone as they are not normally visible. The main thing is to limit the amount of water that can get into those tubes because they run right into the pressed steel part of the frame. Some of the folks in the UK (longer riding season & salt from the ocean) have had to rebuild their frames because they rusted out from the inside.

- I advise against the 17" wheel as tires could be problematic. You will probably want to use DOT approved dual sport or enduro tires like I use for snow tires and when I had the CB750SC there was only 1 choice - the Bridgestone Trail Wing - and they aren't exactly the most long lived tire.
You might be able to fit a CX500 18" wheel but you would have to change the bearings. I'm running one but I have the E's original linkage (mostly), a GL500 swingarm, CX500 final drive and drum brake parts sourced from CX&GL500s. There are lots of choices in 18".
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Fun project!!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Coming right along.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Well, I saw a CX500 rear wheel listed cheap on eBay so I figured I'd take a chance on it. I got it today and went out to pull the drive flange off of it and the Sabre wheel to compare. Well, the flanges are the same bolt pattern, but unfortunately, the bearings are different (and so is the part of the hub that houses the bearings). Might be able to machine that part back to fit properly, but even if that were possible, the 500 hub diameter is 3/4" larger than the 650, so it won't work with the 650 final drive even with the proper flange. :-?

Back to the drawing board, I guess. I think I might just go with the spoked rear wheel and try my best to rationalize the extra cost to myself...
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

SloMo228 wrote:Might be able to machine that part back to fit properly, but even if that were possible, the 500 hub diameter is 3/4" larger than the 650, so it won't work with the 650 final drive even with the proper flange.
You sure about that?

I'm pretty certain that all of the CX/GL500/650 final drives, as well as those on the GL1000, GL1100 and pretty much all shaft drive Hondas from that era are the same outside diameter.

As for the bearings being a different size, it should be fairly easy to find bearings that will fit that wheel and your axle.

Pics would help....
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Here are some shots of the 500 Comstar wheel:

Here's the problem:

And here's the Sabre wheel (same as the 650 wheel):

You can see that the hub diameter on this one is about 3/4" smaller:

I'm not sure that there's any way to make the 500 wheel work with the 650 hub. At least, not any reasonably cheap way.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Are you sure that's a CX500 wheel? All of the CX500 wheels I have seen have been silver Comstars - the original type with the edges of the spokes facing inward.

Like this:

What you bought looks more like a GL500 wheel to me. Is it 16" or 18"? Maybe its from a CX500C - I'm pretty sure they came with the same 16" black reverse Comstar as the GL.

If it is 16" the choices for a dual sport or enduro tire are pretty much limited to the Bridgestone TrailWing. Not the cheapest and not my first choice. I burned through one of them in 5000 Km on my GL500 outfit. The next year I had an 18" CX wheel and I had lots of tire options.

But none of that does you any good because they all have the larger diameter hub.

I did not know that the CX650C had a different diameter hub & final drive than any of the other models in that family. It looks like maybe they sourced the 15" wheel and final drive from some other model. One of the Shadows maybe?

Anyway, you might be able to replace the entire swingarm, final drive and wheel.

Mine started out as a CX650E but a PO bent the rear wheel and destroyed the driveshaft splines by running it with a blown final drive seal (the FD oil washed the grease out). Original type parts were not available so I cobbled together a GL500 swingarm & shaft/u-joint, a CX500 final drive & wheel and brake parts from CX & GL 500s.

I wouldn't be surprised if a GL1100 final drive would bolt up to your swingarm.... Maybe... :dunno:
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by SloMo228 »

Wheel issues aside, I had a bit of time to work on the 650 yesterday, so I got out the welder and made mounts for the seat.

Front mount:

Spring seats (I do still have to get some washers to make a perch for the spring to sit on):

And with the seat mounted:

I'm going to try to get the gas tank mounted today. Once that's done, all that's left is to rebuild the carbs and forks, paint, and get the wheels sorted.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C
SloMo228
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

More Progress

Post by SloMo228 »

Today, I mounted some dirtbike-style pegs:

They needed a little bit of grinding and welding to fit and sit level, but nothing major. I wasn't able to get the spring to fit in there, so I went without. Don't really need it as far as I can see. :dunno:

I also started on the exhaust:

I wish I had a tube bender, it would make this part of the project much easier. But it won't be too bad anyway, I'll just have to buy pre-bent tubes and cut/fit.

I also worked on getting the gas tank mounted, but didn't actually progress any on that front. I'm still puzzling it out in my head, trying to figure out the best way to mount it.
Steve

1978 GL1000 - Gallery
1983 CX650C