Backrest Sissy bar???

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rustybux
Tin Member
Tin Member

Backrest Sissy bar???

Post by Rustybux »

Does anyone have a pic or is it possible to put a padded sissybar on a GL500? My wife won't ride with me unless I have one like I had on my Honda Saber. Just asking
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Backrest Sissy bar???

Post by Rat »

Don't have a pic, but I can't see a problem.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Michael T
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Michael T »

Check on ebay or even on your local craigslist. They made a trunk with padded seat back that not only looks good, but gives you a little storage too. IMHO it looks much better than a sissy bar. Here's a pic of my 500 dresser to give you an idea of what it looks like.
Attachments
82 silverwing 002.JPG
82 silverwing 002.JPG (134.58 KiB) Viewed 515 times
1976 GL1000 (project)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000 (current ride)
1979 GL1000 (sold)
1982 GL1100 (painting)
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

What Michael said. But in case you didn't know, in the original configuration from Honda, there were two boxes available (the tall one Michael has and a low one) and each mounted in place of the back seat, using the same catches &c that hold the seat in place. Michael's bike has the Trunk Relocation Kit, originally made by Markland. They are no longer made but they do show up used on eBay and on the CX forum from time to time, or you could make your own.

Another possibility would be to modify something made for another bike to fit yout 500. The first thing to do would be to take your bike to a good local bike wrecker and see what they have that is close (take a tape measure with you).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Rustybux
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Rustybux »

I have the Shallow box and not the big one. Finding a way to mount one would be a little tricky. I want something that can be quick release or something. I don't like riding with them but my wife needs it because of her back. WE have a wrecking yard but it's on the other side of the mountains and not very friendly people anyway. Thanks for the replies.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I also have a low box, but since mine wasn't a SilverWing originally (although it seems to look more like one every year) I had to attach it permanently. I have never understood how anyone would want a bike without at least enough enclosed cargo space to carry a rain suit and maybe some warmer gloves (about all the low box will hold).

But that won't help you anyway because the low box doesn't have a backrest.

I wish I could tell you to buy an XYZ brand model 123 backrest and that would do the job, but I have never heard of something like that for a SilverWing. They were mostly sold as a light touring bike (primarily intended for one up use although the popularity of the trunk relocation kit would indicate that a fair number used them for two up touring), and most touring riders who wanted a backrest would also want the bigger box, especially if they needed room for two people's stuff. Even if someone did make them when these bikes were new they would be long discontinued 30 years later.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
Rustybux
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Rustybux »

I understand what you are saying. My wife rides a small scooter that does 50 mph because she is deaf and can't ride a clutch type bike. Sometimes we like to go to the lake and want's to ride with me so I need some kind of back rest for her. I'll have to fabricate one from some square metal or something. Thanks everyone for the replies.
robbie202
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by robbie202 »

because she can't hear the motor?
'77 GL1000
'03 Sportster
2020 KLX 250
Rustybux
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Rustybux »

She can't hear the engine and trying to coordinate the clutch, shifter, brakes and throttle at the same time. She can drive a car excellent.. Deaf people don't have distractions that we do such as cell phones, radios, etc. She can sense when an ambulance is coming, etc.

When she took her motorcycle course to get her endorsement, she tried on a Honda Rebel but had a hard time so they let her use a scooter. She got 99% on her test. We are both 60 years old. I've been riding since I was 8 years old.