Missing grommets

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rustybux
Tin Member
Tin Member

Missing grommets

Post by Rustybux »

I've looked everywhere and I can't find any rubber grommets that hold the side covers on. Anyone have any ideas? Honda told me they don't have them either.
lcallison
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Missing grommets

Post by lcallison »

Check your ace hardware store. I found some that would work on my Yamaha XS750 there.
Larry
84 GL1200A
79 GL1000
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Missing grommets

Post by Sidecar Bob »

A year or so ago someone on the CX forum had the same problem. His Honda parts guy found that Honda still carried the kit for the GL1100 and it had all the grommets he needed for about the same as the kit for the CX would have been. IIRC, it even had one or two extras.

BTW: A bit of silicone grease on the grommets will make the covers go on & off with less stress on the pins. Rad Hose Grease works well for this (as well as rad hoses and other rubber lubricating applications)(don't go there - I meant on vehicles)(don't go there either ;) )
If you can't find it locally, PM me - I have acquired a large supply of this stuff and you can have as many 14 gm packs (enough to do a car's rad hoses - MSRP $1) for $0.50 each + actual postage (10 will fit in an ordinary envelope with a regular letter stamp).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....