carb cleaning (HMMMM)

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album169/

Re: carb cleaning (yikes)

Post by confish86 »

Larry

I`m so glad you explaind why you did what you did & it makes sense about the low jet getting clogged up. The big thing is that you have been doing this kind of stuff for quite some time , & to a novice that figures that if they buy a book or video , they can do exactly what is in there. It takes alot more than that to be a good carb rebuilder & woundering how many are going to say (after they buy your great book) that , oh crap i just broke the easy out in the low jet (now what) :drunk crying1 Kind of like the V4 carbs on my VF750c , as i`m sure i can rebuild them to be ok, but having someone that has been doing it for sometime is worth the money to have them do it (kind of plug & play) Also if you read my posting i really didn`t say anything negative about you , & did in one say ( maybe the guy is right & he`s figured out the exact size the bits have to be without enlarging the hole ) Yes i still belong to Chopper Charles site, even though i don`t own my CX650c (i think i was just too tall & fat to be comfortable on it) ;) but who knows :lol:

Welcome to the forum
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)
78 GL1000 (dead title , but got a 79 frame for it)
2012 Kawasaki Concours (LD bike)

Ban low performance bikes....NOT high performance riders!
LRCXed
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k378/LRCXed/

Post by LRCXed »

Thank you for the welcome Sagbrush. I will be in and out of here you can be sure. I'm looking at buying an 1100 goldwing soon if I can ever find the guys # to tell him I want it. It's in my old PC that crashed. I'm working on that now though.

Confish,
I know you didn't say or mean anything negative. I didn't take it that way at all. I'm sorry if I came across like I thought any of you did. I think it's cool that my process was even discussed. It shows that there are plenty of guys out there having carb issues and looking for a fix.

I know that most guys or gals are not comfortable with working on carbs let alone pulling out the low jet. But, as of this date no one has broken an easy out in a low jet. They have how ever broken one of in the main emulsion tubes. I have always said not to do that. I learned from experience. As I stated, the jet has an air gap around it, and lets the process work without tightening up the jet in the body. I'm sure some of you have carbs that are no good laying around. Try it. What have you got to loose if the carb is bad anyway. That's how I found out what to do. You may be surprised at what you find. This is what I found when I started pulling the jets out.

I did notice that most of you were open minded about the process I do. That's why I'm here. If I didn't think it was something that could be done by most anyone, I would have never told them about it. I would have just told them to send them to me and I'll charge them to do it for them. There are lots of people out there in the CX world that have never worked on carbs before and have had great success when they tried it them selves. Yes, it takes a bit of an investment to do it right when you have to buy the sonic cleaner and all the needed equipment. But how much would you pay for a great feeling of success and confidence that you would gain by having a smooth running bike that you did yourself?
If your going to do something, Do It Right, Don't do it half A*"ed"
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Larry, I'm happy that you showed up to point us in the right direction.

I have a set that needs doing and because of your excellent explanation and attention to detail I'll be cleaning those d@^n low jets using your method.

Thanks for joining us here and hopefully we can return the favor.
LRCXed
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by LRCXed »

Steve,
I'm glad the trip over here made it all clearer. Remember though that the carbs benefit from a good cleaning in a sonic cleaner. The debris that builds up on the jets also builds up inside the passages. If they are really dirty it may take a few hours of sonic to do them justice.

This may help you see why the passages are so critical to get cleaned out.
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by confish86 »

LRCXed wrote:Steve,
I'm glad the trip over here made it all clearer. Remember though that the carbs benefit from a good cleaning in a sonic cleaner. The debris that builds up on the jets also builds up inside the passages. If they are really dirty it may take a few hours of sonic to do them justice.

This may help you see why the passages are so critical to get cleaned out.
That pic is so cool dancr action1 Can you tell me what ultra sonic cleaner you have (industrial) only because i bought the heating one from Harbor freight , but never got it out of the box yet to try it. http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-u ... 95563.html & it will hold one motorcycle carb with no trouble.
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)

Trickster
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Re: carb cleaning (HMMMM)

Post by Trickster »

I hate to say I told ya so, but.... as you can see Larry "does" know what he is talking about, and is a very classy guy worth having join this equally great forum.
1978 GL1000
1979 CX500 C
LRCXed
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by LRCXed »

Confish,
The sonic cleaner I use is an industrial one made by Prosonix. But I used the sonic cleaner from Harbor Freight Tools for a couple years before I got the new one. I did get their largest one though. It will fit two carbs in it just fine as long as you split the carbs first.
Here is a link to the size and style I have. CLICK HERE I hope I did that right.

Thank you Trickster for the complement. I just hope I at least equal the class of the members on this forum.

I just wish I could get the phone # out of my old PC to the guy that has the naked Gl1100 I want to buy. Then I could really use the knowledge that's in this membership.

Larry
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Thanks for the excellent discussion Larry. It takes time to lay out such an explanation. I hope you keep on coming back!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by confish86 »

I just wish I could get the phone # out of my old PC to the guy that has the naked Gl1100 I want to buy. Then I could really use the knowledge that's in this membership.

Larry[/quote]

There sure is alot of knowledge kicking around here type1 & when you do buy an 1100 i`m sure when your done it`ll be top notch like the ones you own (really like the 500 custom you did for your son) When you go to rebuild the carbs , you should look up Randakk for the kits (as his is the best & complete) Also the GL1100`s have the triple bypass also (Belts , waterpump, stator) :lol:
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome Larry, great to 'see' you here.

Drop in often.

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
LRCXed
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by LRCXed »

I have been back every day Rat. Good info here that can be used on other bikes besides the goldwings.
confish86
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by confish86 »

Well i recieved the carb rebuild book from larry & i`m super impressed (i know it doesn`t take much) but it`s well written & alot of great pics. anim-cheers1 (i can see using it for the GL1100`s also)

Way to go Larry action1 action1 action1 action1
IBA # 47424 (yahoo)
76 GL1000 (Naked)

acasper708
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by acasper708 »

So One of my carbs for my CX got screwed when I was cleaning it. So I talked to Larry LRCXed and he had a set of carbs that he did a total overhaul on. Drill bits and all. He even synchronized them. They run perfect straight out of the box, literally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKCdQon ... ata_player

These are better Lookin than when they were new.
1981 GL 1100 standard
[url=http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/acasper708][b]my album[/b][/url]
ramprat
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by ramprat »

I had forgotten about this thread, but saw it before I was a member here. Now that I am, let me give credit where credit is due. Not only does Larry (LRCXed) do fine work on carbs, but he is the one who I got G-Loria from, after a complete restoration. He started this project in August last year, and I rode it home from his place in Sacramento CA, to my place in Vancouver WA in one longggggg day in late May, just after my birthday. This bike is much like what the previous poster said about the carbs.....better looking than factory new. And it is in every aspect. When I say complete restoration....that is from the bolts up. I would never know this bike had 12K on it the way it runs. And all the details, from fairing to luggage were restored to new as well. Custom hand painted by him as well.

He did the carbs for my CX as well, and they are still true in performance over a year later. This post is not to discredit anyone else here, but merely to show that he is a valuable added resource here on this site. Any site that has knowledgeable members is a good site, as the benefits to those in need of help, find it.

Joel in the Couve
murrayf
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by murrayf »

let me stick my 2 cents worth in

i have just redone a cx500 for my wife it has been sitting for most of its life

its a 1980 with only 5 k miles on it

i have been wrenching on bikes and engines for 35 years plus so have done more than my share of carbs but never these

vb types on the cx

i took the ones off my wifes cx soaked them for 2 days in carb dip and 2 cycles thru my ultrasonic did the regular cleaning

blowing and setup with out removing any of the scary stuff

threw them back on it ran that is all i can say it would not idle or accelerate properly but some progress

i belong to the cx500 forum and had been reading about larrys book so i bought it

read the book

took the carbs off and redid them as per his instructions

put them back on the bike and havent even had to touch the sync on them

adjusted the mixture and idle and it starts and runs perfect my wife loves the thing it never misses a beat

my hats off to Larry on this one he was right about the passages being clogged and them needing to be stripped out

to clean properly our bike is proof enough for me

Murray
Our Current Bikes at home
CX650 Deluxe turned out awesome a treat to ride
1983 GL650 naked
1983 GL650 full dress
2 1978 CX500 WHAT????? i like them
1981 gl500 Rachels build
1978 cx500 BIG 650 motor dual 38mm mikunis
1980 cb750 DOHC dual mikunis vance and hines exhaust
1971 cb750 SOHC dual mikunis
1966 cb350 dual mikunis baby 28s