Fork Swap Info/Questions

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

'80blackwing
Lead Member
Lead Member

Fork Swap Info/Questions

Post by '80blackwing »

OK! I have aquired a set of forks from a 2002 zx6r. I have found the upper and lower bearings on allballs that they say will work. But, as they say on the website this is just the correct size of bearing's that will work, it does not necessarily mean that the for swap has been done nor does it mean it will work without modification. Does anyone have any info on this swap? Has anyone done it before or know if it's possible? Granted I could find out in a couple hours time out in the shop, I just don't want to order parts the I don't need unless I absolutely have to. Any info is greatly appreciated! :crosso anim-cheers1
Attachments
The zx6r forks
The zx6r forks
20170123_170340.jpg (61.79 KiB) Viewed 277 times
g.jpg
g.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 277 times
20161101_131038.jpg
20161101_131038.jpg (164.53 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Fork Swap Info/Questions

Post by Easter »

Did something similar installing late CB1000 forks and triples on a 75. The big issue is length of steering shaft. The bearings will need to set properly on the shaft both top and bottom. Top is likely where you will encounter the problem. My machinist actually put the entire lower tree in the lathe and turned it to match the original. If your shaft is not long enough they may be able to press it out and use the original one (requires grinding off the weld on the bottom) I have had that done also.

Another factor of course is the overall length of the fork legs. On the 75, I just moved the fork legs up in the triple clamp and mounted clip-ons above the triple. If the legs are too short, several of the guys have machined extensions to adapt the top.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
'80blackwing
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by '80blackwing »

Easter wrote:Did something similar installing late CB1000 forks and triples on a 75. The big issue is length of steering shaft. The bearings will need to set properly on the shaft both top and bottom. Top is likely where you will encounter the problem. My machinist actually put the entire lower tree in the lathe and turned it to match the original. If your shaft is not long enough they may be able to press it out and use the original one (requires grinding off the weld on the bottom) I have had that done also.

Another factor of course is the overall length of the fork legs. On the 75, I just moved the fork legs up in the triple clamp and mounted clip-ons above the triple. If the legs are too short, several of the guys have machined extensions to adapt the top.

Thanks for the response! I have done some measuring already and the stem is shorter than stock. Im not concerned with fork length though. I'm losing less than 2 inches which is fine with me. I've already lowered the rear 2 inches (which I may change at some point). If I get this front end to work it will completely change the direction I'm going in anyway. Again, thanks!
gnhbus
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by gnhbus »

Greetings ,

looking for info on installing a springer/girder front end on '82
thanks
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

gnhbus wrote:Greetings ,

looking for info on installing a springer/girder front end on '82
thanks

This would be better asked in it's own thread.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder