Just another bobber build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

deathbypizza
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: The $1000 bike build!

Post by deathbypizza »

where did you mount the ignition key? im thinking abouyt moving mine and placed it where you have yours but how did you attach it haha
1980 GL1100I (parts)
1978 GL1000
"I Have No Idea What I Am Doing."
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

deathbypizza wrote:where did you mount the ignition key? im thinking abouyt moving mine and placed it where you have yours but how did you attach it haha

If you go back and look at post #26 there is a clear picture of it.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

deathbypizza wrote:where did you mount the ignition key? im thinking abouyt moving mine and placed it where you have yours but how did you attach it haha
I put 1/2" bolts through the factory ignition holes and ran a nut up to hold the bolts in place. I put another nut on the very end of the bolts. Then after cleaning off the paint where I wanted to mount it, and temporarily securing the Ignition Tumbler; I welded the end nuts to the frame so you can still remove it if necessary.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Riding is life" -me

1981 Honda Goldwing bobber "Wang"
& a few other toys
deathbypizza
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by deathbypizza »

Rad thanks!
1980 GL1100I (parts)
1978 GL1000
"I Have No Idea What I Am Doing."
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

Something doesn't look right with the new headlight mounts. Maybe they stick out too far... Opinions? I spent $60 on these CNC allum brackets so I am going to have to live with them for a while. I wanted to mount the headlight lower, but the brackets turned out to be 2mm too small :IDTS:
PS. I will probably order stainless braided brake lines because the factory lines are swelling and giving me a very spongey feel on the brake pedal & lever. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to keep it under $125
Last edited by Hamp on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
Ric
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Ric »

I like the brackets, not bad at all! But would be better with a side view pic, to see how much they stick out
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Yeah, I like my headlights low and tucked in, like a Ducati monster. Even the stock mounts are too far out and too high. I purchased a new set and then drilled new holes until the headlight was where I wanted it.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

IMHO, the headlight is out too far, but if you are using a real bucket behind it, it will make a difference on how it looks.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Looks as though the brackets could be rotated around 160-170 degrees to the inside for a tighter pull back. Might need some spacers on the headlight. Also, pulling the visor off will give it a different look.

Bike is really looking nice.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

ericheath wrote:Looks as though the brackets could be rotated around 160-170 degrees to the inside for a tighter pull back.
+1
Looked goofy with them turned in, so tried them rotated outwards. I also ditched the two lower brackets which allowed me to drop the headlight about 2"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The left bank (cyl 2/4) was having a constant misfire at idle and would correct itself at about 1/4 throttle. After setting and re-setting the timing belts (no covers), attempting to re-clean the carb, and adjusting the idle mixture screws; a carb overhaul was deemed needed. The old rubber seals after the second going through just couldn't hold up, so I bit the bullet and ordered EMSTD's carb overhaul kit and new timing belts.

EMSTD's kit came in the mail two days ago and being Sunday, I had some spare time to mess with the bike. Before I install the overhaul kit, I NEED TO BE SURE THE CARBS ARE COMPLETELY CLEAN. Does anyone have any tips for removing the pucks underneath the idle mixture holes in the air channel? I tried drilling into the puck and using a screw to pop it out but it is absolutely frozen in place. Will boiling in lemon water or using a chemtool carb bath clean this tight space? Each and every channel gets sprayed out with air after each method.

While I am at a standstill with the carb situation, I decided to run a dry compression test to verify the combustion chambers.
Cyl. 1: 150
Cyl. 2: 99 :(
Cyl. 3: 149
Cyl. 4: 150

I pulled the left head off to find that the exhaust valves have made contact with the pistons. The pistons are in OK condition and do not have any holes in them. The valves do not look bent and appear to seat properly but I know judging by eyesight will not be enough to give me an answer. To determine if the issue is bad piston rings or a bent valve, I smeared a medium amount of 50w oil on the top side of the cylinder wall with a rag and temporarily re-mounted the head for a wet compression test. 104 psi. The oil gave me an extra 5 psi, so now I am %99 sure I am dealing with a bent valve. Any input is appreciated!

Over view

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 4
Last edited by Hamp on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Pull apart and check straightness. Good time for new valve seals and lap. If they're not bent, you are lucky.

A large c-clamp works nice for removing valves. Cut a slot large enough for keepers. Good write-ups in Shoptalk on rebuild. Don't forget 2 new orings for the oil orifice per side. A good time to do the three cam seals as well, but can be done later.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I think the odds are a bent valve but it is possible to check since the head is off, if it will hold liquid. Fit should be tight enough that gasoline or equivalent (maybe water) will not leak out from the valves with the head laying upside down on the bench. Much has been said on here about using Honda head gaskets. I had several sets of off-brand from various gasket kits and used one on a recent build only to have to pull it back apart and replace with OEM.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

ericheath wrote:Pull apart and check straightness. Good time for new valve seals and lap. If they're not bent, you are lucky.
I wish it was a bent valve because it would be less likely my piston rings are faulty
Easter wrote:I think the odds are a bent valve but it is possible to check since the head is off, if it will hold liquid. Fit should be tight enough that gasoline or equivalent (maybe water) will not leak out from the valves with the head laying upside down on the bench.
Intake and exhaust had a small leak on cyl #4. Both valves on cyl #2 (the bad cyl) held the liquid fine... :( Looks like its piston rings then..? A few months back, the engine was turning over very slow. I assumed it was a dead battery but it turned out cyl #2 was hydrolocked (for about a week). Is it possible the fuel ate away the piston rings? There is a slight brown stain on the bottom of #2 cyl wall.
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Never heard of fuel eating rings
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Has the bike been sitting for an extended period (years)? Might just be stuck rings. I would be inclined to clean up the heads (even lap the valves and double check for a bent valve) and put it back together. Run it for a while and recheck the compression. Worst case you will have a good set of heads for your next short-block or engine.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: