'80 1100 Imvubu Build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '80 1100 Imvubu Build

Post by wheeliedog »

I've also finally managed to get my seat covered. It's been at a bike bike upholsterer who is a true artist. Unfortunately he also has a true artist's concept of time. Deadlines and promises mean nothing to him. I eventually took it away from him after more than a month of zero progress, and finished off the shaping and foam work myself.

Took it to someone else for covering, in one day and collected the next. It's been done with a stretch vinyl that is usually used on dashboards, so I think it should hold up well.
Attachments
WingSeatCovered.JPG
WingSeatCovered.JPG (133.52 KiB) Viewed 271 times
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Looking good wheeliedog :2thumbs
I think you made the right choice getting someone else to do the seat - unless you're doing a real complicated piece for a show bike, then it's not worth the time and money to have him do it IMO.
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Hey Norbert. Yeah, thanks.

I stripped my moer, you'll know what I mean :mrgreen:

The seat is not as perfect as I envisioned but I think it came out good enough. It looks pretty good on the bike, and she is after all going to be a 'rider' not a 'shower'.

I can't see the seat when I'm sitting on it, but(t) it did come out really comfortable anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

I've been in a hole with Imvubu. This project is supposed to be fun and I realized I wasn't having any. The leaking valve covers spoiled my mood, and then I also discovered that I never connected up my radiator fan.

I was thinking about my wiring and I realized I knew where my problem lay. When I got the bike the radiator fan circuit had been bypassed and a manual switch had been fitted instead to turn the fan on and off. I traced the original fault to a break in the wiring, and removed the manual switch and the miles of added wiring. Without any further thought I had rejoined the two ends of the original black wire where some of the added wiring had been joined in. I inadvertently created a dead short as soon as the fan was supposed to switch on. This will also explain why I blew the main fuse on my first ride. It hasn't blown again simply because I haven't run the motor long enough again to get it that hot.

The challenge was of course that bit of wiring is almost impossible to reach. It's been two months since I did any meaningful work on the bike but the break has done me good. I got to the stage where this challenge sounded like fun again.
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

To get to the wiring I had decided to crush my hand in the vice, so that it was thin enough to get it into the tiny gap between the engine hanger, the radiator, the fan and the carbs. I thought it would be quicker and less painful than removing all those parts again. While studying that tiny, tiny gap I felt inspired to start stripping away some of the easier parts, hooters, coils etc,etc around the area so that I could create a bigger gap, and might only have to crush a few fingers instead of my whole hand.

Anyway, with enough parts removed and the engine hanger bolts out I could pull aside the engine heat guard enough to extract the wiring I needed to work on. Took a while but I successfully fixed my wiring boo boo. I am greatly relieved that I didn't need the vice in the end. :mrgreen:
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

I was so happy with my achievement, and my wiring harness was now so accessible I felt inspired enough to continue.

My aftermarket switches have a function to switch off the park lights whereas the original circuits are switched via the ignition. This non function of the switch irritated me enough to dive back headlong into the harness. I pulled out the bulk of the wiring harness, removed a few metres of cloth wiring tape, and did my best to marry the original wiring to my modified circuitry.
Attachments
WingWiring5.JPG
WingWiring5.JPG (119.84 KiB) Viewed 229 times
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

After many hours of fun I can eventually call the electrics done. Everything finally works as it should, switches, gauges, lights, radiator fan, etc, etc. I also added a wiring circuit for driving lights while I was busy too, as I might still want to add some at a later stage.

Everything is tested and the wiring taped finally up again. Electrics finally done and dusted. Yehaaah!
Attachments
WingWiring6.JPG
WingWiring6.JPG (142.83 KiB) Viewed 229 times
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

I then patiently went through everything that I've done on the bike so far. Just as well because the bolts were still loose on one front brake caliper :shock:

I also found that I never tightened the tappet cover bolts properly either. This should explain the leaking on the RHS :mrgreen: LHS is better too, but still leaking a tad from that rubber 'plug'. This will get attention when I check valve clearances again after doing some miles on the motor.

She is good to ride, and I did a number of victory laps around the block in celebration. She's a very naked Goldwing without the tank shelter, but it looks weirdly cool in a way anim-cheers1
Attachments
WingNaked.JPG
WingNaked.JPG (149.81 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Good on ya Wheelie !!
Nulla futuit datum...
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Persistence, I love it. Nice job!
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Love it, you've come a long way but it's worth it! As many on here have said before, when it starts becoming more of a drag than fun, walk away for a bit. You know it's in your blood when you come back to it and it's fun again...

A sweet naked wing for sure.

cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

In my book you're King o' the Day for tackling the wiring, any wiring.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Thank you Gentlemen.

I've done a bit of shake down riding only to find that she's completely lazy at anything over 4000rpm, just bogs down crying1

That is however a problem for the new year.

Now it's time for our family holiday. There's fun to be had away from the stresses of work, home and bike building (breaking?)

All my best wishes for the festive season to all on the forum xmas2 xmas2 xmas2

Wheeliedog, over and out anim-cheers1
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Check advances mechanism? They can rust up behind the points plate.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Hope you had a wheelie wheelie good holiday :P
Now get back in the garage and get that sweet ride sorted so we can go for a run anim-cheers1
Nulla futuit datum...