'80 1100 Imvubu Build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: '80 1100 Imvubu Build

Post by wheeliedog »

I also did some shopping. The first parcel I received came from David Silver in the UK containing a set of crash bars, some other little odds and ends I needed, and an aftermarket 15.8 mm front brake master cylinder. This is to replace my Chinese unit that was supposedly a 16mm, but turned out to have a 14mm bore and the brake lever would pull back all the way to the handlebar without much braking movement at the calipers.

This I had eventually figured out after seven days and seven nights of continuous brake bleeding. The new unit in contrast practically bled its self. I bled the new master first and connected a new line to the brake line splitter. I started pumping the brake lever to move some fluid down the line and very soon started feeling resistance. The new master was literally sucking air bubbles from the line up into the reservoir, I didn't need to touch the caliper bleed screws at all action1
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

So with the tank back in and at last working brakes, I semi fitted some of the other important bits and pushed her outside.

I put some fuel in the tank and hit the starter button.
Attachments
WingRunner.JPG
WingRunner.JPG (111.56 KiB) Viewed 175 times
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

I'm sorry, I can't get the rotation right whatever I try, but then the feeling of joy did tilt my world :mrgreen:

Copious amounts of smoke from the exhaust and the exhaust wrap, luckily I knew what to expect from this forum, otherwise I might have switched her off and stripped down the motor again!

YEHAAAAA! party2 party2 party2 :joker :joker anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

WingRunner2.JPG
WingRunner2.JPG (141.15 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Clutch needed a bit of adjusting at the handlebar end, but then I could select first, and I let out the clutch lever.
Attachments
WingRunner3.JPG
WingRunner3.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 172 times
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

She's idling at about 3000 rpm so needs some adjusting, but it was fun taking my daughter for a spin, and my wife too!
Attachments
WingRunner4.JPG
WingRunner4.JPG (165.56 KiB) Viewed 171 times
WingRunner5.JPG
WingRunner5.JPG (158.54 KiB) Viewed 171 times
LastMohawk
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LastMohawk »

Hey, its good to see you an your family for a first ride on your wing.
congrets to you.
wheeliedog wrote: YEHAAAAA! party2 party2 party2 :joker :joker anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
that's why we build our bikes :crosso

greetings
Harald
"Sometimes it takes more than luck to keep the wheels spinning just right."

77 GL1000 "Uschi"
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Thanks Harald, it's taken 22 months to get to my first ride on the Goldwing.

My first impression is very positive. The suspension upgrades feel very good, the seating position feels just right and the seat is really comfortable. My wife also says the same. I am very relieved that the thoughts in my head have come together so well. It's difficult to judge seat and handlebar heights etc without testing it the road. Sitting on the bike making vroom vroom noises is not quite the same.

I rode her to the garage to put in some more fuel and I think this is going to be a really fun bike to ride when she is done. She just felt 'right' to me out on the road.

Somehow I forgot to connect up the fan and I also managed to blow the main fuse when I got home, so she is back on the centre stand for some TLC before I can ride her again. But yes, I was very happy with my first ride and with the family sharing the excitement. anim-cheers1
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I thought that was such a great picture, I played with it a bit. Hope it meets with approval.
WingRunner.JPG
WingRunner.JPG (72 KiB) Viewed 162 times
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Thanks Old Fogey, good to have my feet back on the ground again, approval certainly granted!

Looks good cropped and rotated, that's what I tried to do. Still a bit beyond my computer skills, got an old wing to fix before I try to master these newfangled devices ;)
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Couldn't leave your lady's beautiful smile out! She looks as pleased as you!
WingRunner5.JPG
WingRunner5.JPG (121.39 KiB) Viewed 155 times
(cropped, lightened, shadows lightened, colour enhanced, contrast altered. You should never believe what you see in a photo! :-D )
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

WD,
Just had a quart of ice cream in honor of your father & mother. Steady as she goes.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

:bravo :bravo action1 action1 dancr dancr :jump
AWESOME MARK !!!!!
That first ride is something you'll never forget crossy.gif
So cool to be able to share it with your family. Congrats brother, you have put your heart and soul into that build, so cool to see the smile on your face and the bike rolling down the road :2thumbs
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

Mark has created himself as a legend. Mark rides again! It's time to pull a permit for your parade!
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Yeah, the legend is still smiling, my cheeks are starting to hurt :mrgreen:

I did the main fuse conversion to a blade fuse as per Whiskerfish, SidecarBob, et al so that fuse replacement will be easier in future. The bike is running again, not quite sure yet why the fuse blew. There is also a small oil leak from the head on the LHS that I am studiously ignoring for now...

Next job is the rear fender, tail light, number plate holder and indicators. I'm hoping to give her a trim and slim rear end to match her new personality :orange

Could take a little while, we are going away on a family 4x4 getaway soon and I have some preparation to do. At least that's what WOTM is telling me. (Wife Of The Month, just look at her smile, thanks Old Fogey ;) )
Last edited by wheeliedog on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.