Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: NGW made me do it

Post by robin1731 »

ericheath wrote:Thanks, Oldboy, I had forgotten you shaved your heads. I think it's going to be alright. I read on other sites that shaving heads on overhead cams retards valve timing and improves low end torque.

I don't know where they got their info. Retarding cam timing will lesson torque at low RPM. But like Oldboy and I both said it helps at higher RPM. Like I said earlier. You move the powerband around with cam timing.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Both is good.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Got my heads on and valves set. I hope my exhaust valve has enough clearance. I think it was 0.065, but with the head shave it got closer. I may have to pull it and shave a bit more from the intake and exhaust cut-outs. Still tons to do at my snail's pace. I hope to fire it up in a week or so just to see if it's a runner. Then pull the motor and make a few frame changes, rebuild forks, rebuild brake, finalize gas tank, lights, tires speedo, tach?........paint....ugh. I gotta keep plugging away if I'm going to ride this this year. It's 4 months to riding season here. The down side for me is I don't get to work on it on weekends. So it's just a few hours four nights a week.

Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
joedrum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joedrum »

my mongrel frame has forward controls started on the frame ...it looks a lot like your one pic with the bar going accross the frame ...mines welded just above removeable frame rail amd end threaded for fold up pegs ....cant wait till i get going ....like you im slow and slower in the funds department...if its not hitting buy hand turning id say your good ..im sticking it out with you ...
1979 1000
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Looks like it's at least setup to sit on and make vroom-vroom sounds. ;)
Thurem
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Thurem »

Shaving the head 0.025" only moves the cam timing app 0.7 degrees or 1.4 degrees in crank movement. Should be negligible.
From memory the cam gear (wheel) is app 4" in diameter. inv sin(0.025"/2")= 0.7 degree.
'81 GL1100
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I have been working my butt off on the bike. Double checking and doubting myself all the way and playing with options of what I think I will like.
WP_001129.jpg
WP_001129.jpg (102.35 KiB) Viewed 415 times
WP_001130.jpg
WP_001130.jpg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Dropped the long Magna forks in the trees and like the looks along with some different bars. The gauges were just sitting there for looks. I think I'll go with an aftermarket all in one on the tank to cover up a bracket there.
WP_001121.jpg
WP_001121.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Then I started messing with the swingarm so I'd take a little longer. Boy what a nightmare.
WP_001150.jpg
WP_001150.jpg (106.21 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Which led to this behemoth. It's welded up now. Hope it's straight.
WP_001151(1).jpg
WP_001151(1).jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Thought I finished the frame last night, but awoke this morning wondering about the battery. I better put some brackets on for it and then off to powder coat.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

WP_001145.jpg
WP_001145.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 412 times
WP_001146.jpg
WP_001146.jpg (141.98 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Monoshock pics. Only took three times to get them in the right spot.....I think.
WP_001142.jpg
WP_001142.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Mounted the tank so it will open up to work on it. Easily removed also. I had to cut this as the monoshock hit it by an 1/8". So I cut the support moved it only to find another part of the tank, the big opening for the fuel pump to hit it. So I had to redo the monoshock and brackets again a bit lower.

I sure hope to finish the frame mods on Monday. Then there's lots of things to do while it's being coated. Brake rebuilds, spacers for front axle and brakes, lots of shiny things. And finish the seat.
WP_001155.jpg
WP_001155.jpg (122.3 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Oh the seat. A Valkyrie seat. I chopped it a bit last night, but will lower it a bit more so it covers the frame
WP_001157.jpg
WP_001157.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Definitely makes my butt look bigger.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Roady

Post by Roady »

Lookin' good, man!

Don't worry, some chicks like big butts. ;)
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

very innovative. can't wait to see the finished bike
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Finally it sees a little daylight and I have time to get this done. I figured how to load pictures with my iPad. I have a daughter whose education took some of my fun money, so no powder coat. I am going cheap and getting it running before running much more into it, because..... I have no idea if it's really going to work. I might just be riding it in primer for this year.
image.jpg
image.jpg (208.16 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I ended up needing to lower the back end and so chopped the swing arm and moved it. It feels right now. I know it's not too pretty, but I'll clean it up and weld a cap on when I'm sure that's where it belongs.
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.28 KiB) Viewed 348 times
After that I spent time getting brakes, clutch, throttle cable, and figuring my wiring out........not done yet. I am using the Magna bar controls, I was able to swap the one piece reg/rectifier from the Magna in. I will get more electrics hooked up this week and hopefully fire it up. All I can say geeeesh, how do you guys make this look so easy???
image.jpg
image.jpg (132.55 KiB) Viewed 347 times
The flat bars didn't feel right for me so I put some off my oldest 77. They are pull backs. They clear the tank easier.
I have been quiet lately, but I'll likely be asking some questions this week. Sorry.... But thanks in advance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 348 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 348 times
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Seat pan, Getting there, slow and slower

Post by ericheath »

I have most of my wiring figured out. I decided to put together what ever was fastest so I could ride the short season I have. So I tossed on some lights and back end off the Magna, headlight off eBay. I decided to make a seat pan from a sheet of abs I had laying around. I have seen the fiberglass and tin methods, I decided to try this. I pressed a piece of cardboard against the frame and cut it out. I added an inch around to fold over the frame rails.
Cradboard
Cradboard
image.jpg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 267 times
I then marked the plastic and cut it out with tin snips.
Next I layed tape across the frame.
Tape
Tape
image.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 267 times

Then I placed he piece in the oven at 250 f for about 15 minutes, Neil it was pliable. I brought it quickly and with the help of he better half we placed it and rolled the edges over the rails. It sagged a bit on the tape in the middle.
Side shot
Side shot
image.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 267 times
With a torch you can heat up areas to adjust. I'll place some pads along the frame rails and then foam and a cover.
Rear view
Rear view
image.jpg (126.55 KiB) Viewed 267 times
I had to trim some from the sides, 3/4" would have been enough. Seems neater than the fiberglass method. I might put another layer on for strength, or I might just glue some strips underneath to reinforce it some.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

On a different note, I have all my lights turning on, just no flash for the turn signals. Anyone got any hints there. I swapped the flash unit with the other 77 and it's good. I thought it was just not enough juice, but now with everything hooked up, I still don't get a flash.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

Great seat pan.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I need a new avatar......I RODE IT!!!! It was scary as heck because I have never done any metal working like this. So far, so good.... one ride. I wore a pair of winter coveralls and gloves and all I could think of for safety as I have heard of tank slippers or worse. I had absolutely no steering issues. It turns around in a parking lot as easy as my stock 77. As for power....unbelievably better than the 77. Off idle is great, actually a bit scary for me because I think it'll spin the back end out easily. I took off in second gear a few times thinking I was in first, but it took off easier than the 77 in first gear. The hydraulic clutch feels a bit stiffer than my 77. I don't think I went over fifty mph today. I just had to ride it once to see how much more I have to do. My blinkers quit on me. The monoshock gave a nice ride, and it was on the lowest setting. The front was stiff, I put two inch shortening tubes in the chopper style Magna forks and I have it up in the triples maybe 2.5". I haven't made a fork brace yet. I want that on before I do much more. I will post some pics and vids maybe tomorrow. I have lots of little things to weld still, but my welder took a dump. Exhaust, air cleaner, fender supports, lots. I could touch the ground flat footed with some bend at the knees. When I brought it back in the garage my other 77 said, "I could do that too if Honda had given me a first gear!"

Can't sign off without a shout of thanks for all the moderators and contributors here for helping me through this.----- and putting up with me. A decent paint job will probably be next season. The wife wants a new bathroom. I promised once I got this a rider that she would get that.
Last edited by ericheath on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces