So, I got really tired of the air forks being weird on me... And my fork seals were leaking. Could have spent 80 bucks on some progressive springs, but free is better.
The theory is that the less number of coils a spring with a certain wire and diameter has, the stiffer it is. The short spring on top of the large spring was the first one to go, replaced it with a spacer. Still soggy and needed about 14 psi of air to stay up. After careful measuring of the little spaces between the coils I figured I could safely cut off 16 active coils. Which in theory, http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm
,should change the spring rate from 28.08 pounds per inch to 40.56 pounds per inch. I then assembled the forks with a washer on top of the cut and ground flat spring. I fashioned some spacers from some pvc tubing. With the forks fully extended I let the pvc spacer peek out an inch over the top of the fork tube so that when I put on the fork cap the spring has about an inch of preload. Then I added 300 cc's of 20w forkoil in each leg
I also polished the fork stanchions and put on a Shinko radial tire 110/80-19. Next week I'm getting the rear rim widened for the matching 150 Shinko rear tire, will also notch the swingarm for clearance. stay tuned.