My naked MAINE-WING build.

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My naked MAINE-WING build.

Post by BikeMaine »

robin1731 wrote:
ericheath wrote:It looks like a lot more lateral bracing between the legs than the early models. There was a post a couple years back with people who having them collapse in certain situations. Hopefully they've improved it.
I think that was from the locking bar bending.

This locking bar is 1" round bar.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by toolbox »

If you ever did feel like it could use a bigger footprint, it would be easy to add some fold-in outriggers...if they were say 12" long, you'd have a total of 2' total extra width which seems like it would be plenty. And if you make them folding, at least you're only tripping on them half the time :lol: . Looks nice though...wish my "garage" was big enough for something like that. As it is, it's just barely got enough room for the bike :oops: . Someday I'd like to tear down my carport and build an actual shop building, though that's probably a decade or two from becoming a reality lol.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

toolbox wrote:If you ever did feel like it could use a bigger footprint, it would be easy to add some fold-in outriggers...if they were say 12" long, you'd have a total of 2' total extra width which seems like it would be plenty. And if you make them folding, at least you're only tripping on them half the time :lol: . Looks nice though...wish my "garage" was big enough for something like that. As it is, it's just barely got enough room for the bike :oops: . Someday I'd like to tear down my carport and build an actual shop building, though that's probably a decade or two from becoming a reality lol.

Your post is ironic to me in two ways.
One, my 80 year old father and I discussed different ways of adding fold-out stabilizers in case I ever needed extra stability, but I don't think I need it.

Two, this garage of mine was the original "Love shack" that my wife and I bought back in '92. It was just a 20'x24' tiny cottage. We bought it and 1.5 acres for 13K. After living in it for a year she became pregnant and we needed more room. I built a 3,000 square foot home as an "addition" to the love shack. Except for the concrete foundation, I built everything myself, even all electric wiring, plumbing, chimneys, etc. So, now my shop is the old love shack.
However, several years back I built a carport to the front of the shop. I am now considering putting a concrete floor under the carport and then walls to close it in. If I did, this would add an additional 24'x18' onto the existing shop. (BIGGER FOOTPRINT for the the building too.)
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

BikeMaine wrote:
robin1731 wrote:
ericheath wrote:It looks like a lot more lateral bracing between the legs than the early models. There was a post a couple years back with people who having them collapse in certain situations. Hopefully they've improved it.

I know, but they were bending.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

robin1731 wrote:
BikeMaine wrote:
robin1731 wrote:

I know, but they were bending.

Some of the pics are gone now but this thread was about that problem. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48993

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

My buddy came over last night and we discussed the design. I weigh 225, he weighs 260. He sat on my dressed GW and pumped it up to full height. I put in the safety bar and released the hydraulics. He bounced around and jumped on the foot pegs. Nothing. Very stable. Then I climbed aboard and straddled the front wheel and we both jumped. (Nobody accused us of having good sense)

Stability gets an A+ from me.

Then I removed the safety bar and clamped 6"of it in my big vise. We both pulled as hard as we could to bend it, all we did was snap two 7/16" bolts off. Safety bar is still straight as an arrow.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG (221.45 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Riding yesterday evening, this is about 30 miles north of my house in North Anson, Maine. The snow is really melting now.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

GW sunset.jpg
GW sunset.jpg (139.34 KiB) Viewed 140 times
She ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's wicked comfortable.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Wicked bad. How do you like the batwing? Does it help keep the noisy turbulent away from you ears. The noise is what bugs me at speed. I'm not fond of earplugs and want something that quiets it down and keeps the strain off my body too. I have noticed that putting my arms up on the master cylinders cuts the noise and wind by a lot. My arms are basically in the position the batwing shields.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

ericheath wrote:Wicked bad. How do you like the batwing? Does it help keep the noisy turbulent away from you ears. The noise is what bugs me at speed. I'm not fond of earplugs and want something that quiets it down and keeps the strain off my body too. I have noticed that putting my arms up on the master cylinders cuts the noise and wind by a lot. My arms are basically in the position the batwing shields.
Thanks and yes. It blocks the wind very well making it quieter. Before the fairing, my ears would ring after riding a couple hours, now they don't. That wind noise is terrible.

PS- I just ordered these to add to the wind block.
deflector.png
deflector.png (187.58 KiB) Viewed 132 times
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

BikeMaine wrote:My buddy came over last night and we discussed the design. I weigh 225, he weighs 260. He sat on my dressed GW and pumped it up to full height. I put in the safety bar and released the hydraulics. He bounced around and jumped on the foot pegs. Nothing. Very stable. Then I climbed aboard and straddled the front wheel and we both jumped. (Nobody accused us of having good sense)

video or it didn't happen! :mrgreen:
what brand fairing is that?
I am struggling with whether or not I want one..I got my wing because it was naked..but riding my wife's shadow with the windshield on it is nice.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

5speed wrote:
BikeMaine wrote:My buddy came over last night and we discussed the design. I weigh 225, he weighs 260. He sat on my dressed GW and pumped it up to full height. I put in the safety bar and released the hydraulics. He bounced around and jumped on the foot pegs. Nothing. Very stable. Then I climbed aboard and straddled the front wheel and we both jumped. (Nobody accused us of having good sense)

video or it didn't happen! :mrgreen:
what brand fairing is that?
I am struggling with whether or not I want one..I got my wing because it was naked..but riding my wife's shadow with the windshield on it is nice.
I'll see if I can find the packing slip. I bought it new off of Amazon, it was about $150.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

tks. well made?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

After saying I don't like earplugs, I started out for a spin tonight and happened to find some ear plugs right after writing my earlier post which were different than the others I tried. To my surprise, it was bliss, maybe too much--I like to hear the bike for issues as they may arise.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

ericheath wrote:After saying I don't like earplugs, I started out for a spin tonight and happened to find some ear plugs right after writing my earlier post which were different than the others I tried. To my surprise, it was bliss, maybe too much--I like to hear the bike for issues as they may arise.
I tried ear plugs several times trying to get used to them, but I just can't. I need to hear it.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A