Non-rider building '82 Cafe Racer. Stop laughing.

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

GW Hobo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... it=GW+Hobo

Non-rider building '82 Cafe Racer. Stop laughing.

Post by GW Hobo »

Greetings,

I've been in construction for some time and am fairly handy. I've never ridden a motorcycle before (riding classes are scheduled for May) but I've had a bug to try it for years. I finally had my mid-life crisis at 46 last fall when I saw a GW cafe-racer on a city street and had to have one.

In Jan '17, I found an '82 GL1100 Standard with a Hondaline kit in a barn find in Indiana. $500, 21,000+ miles, and hadn't been ridden since about 2002. The engine turned and the frame looked good so I decided to jump in with both feet.

Thanks to sites like this and others, I've begun to build my bike. I took Randakk's "Starting a GL1000 after a long layup" to heart, changed the plugs (see pic of old plugs attached - they look ok, no?), and put in new oil, filter, air filter, checked the fuses, new battery, etc. The fuel tank is a rusty hot mess, so I'm using an auxiliary fuel tank for now until I have time to pull the back tire and the tank.

The starter works and she turns over well but it won't fire. When it turns over, I can feel vibrations in the fuel pump so I'm guessing the pump is sending gas to the carbs/engine, but I'm still going to pull the auxiliary tank fuel line off the fuel pump and put it directly into the carbs/engine to be sure there's no blockage. I'm not smelling gas when I repeatedly try to start it (5 secs on, wait 10 secs and do again) so maybe there is a blockage.

Unfortunately, another issue is that the choke is stuck closed and the throttle won't budge. I've confirmed the cables are free but the linkages on the carb for both seem stuck. Specifically, the choke linkage won't budge at all (not forcing it) and the left side throttle linkage moves some while the right side does not. So I'm guessing there's varnish in the carbs that's keeping the butterflies from opening? I'd like to spray some starter fluid into the carbs to at least get it to fire but that's pointless unless the carb doors are open, correct?

I've searched for "choke stuck closed" and nothing jumped out at me so I'll ask for newbie-mercy in advance since its likely here and I missed it. Any suggestions on how to get the choke/throttle open without removing the carbs for a clean? I'm about to buy the randakk kit anyway but would like to avoid that job until after I get her started and finish with the "long layup" checklist. I've sprayed WD-40 and tried to get things to budge (gently) so I'm suspecting its a carb issue that requires a full clean..??

Final question - I'm putting off changing the timing belts until I get her fired up for the first time...and I can hear Whiskerfish and Roady from here advising me otherwise, ha. My local honda mc dealer (he says he has an '81 GL1100) says don't sweat the belts until after I get it started. He's wrong right?

Thanks all, glad to be here.

Hobo
Attachments
Day one - tires still held air!
Day one - tires still held air!
20170120_105938.jpg (167.92 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Breaking it down
Breaking it down
20170121_181538.jpg (113.08 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Sans fairing kit
Sans fairing kit
20170217_154233.jpg (131.56 KiB) Viewed 360 times
15 year old antifreeze
15 year old antifreeze
20170228_152038.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 360 times
15 year old plugs
15 year old plugs
20170219_164754.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 360 times
1982 GL1100 Cafe - Born Naked
2020 October BOM
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Non-rider building '82 Cafe Racer. Stop laughing.

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! From the pics, it looks like you've got yourself a keeper. In my humble opinion, if the engine turns over, and you have spark, bite the bullet and pull the carbs for cleaning and rebuild. You could be messing around for quite some time trying to get them unstuck, when you could be rebuilding the carbs. My 2 cents.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Someone here will post a pic of what happens when belt snaps---not pretty. Consider your belts have likely been sitting for years in the same spot. The part that wraps the crank pulleys at a pretty sharp angle, the idlers also will take a set. When you remove the belt, it stays right in the same shape it was on the bike. It's a good idea to change them.

I understand your desire to hear it run, and I did the same thing with my first one. And it went just like Track says. You probably can get gas enough through the carbs to make pops, farts, and bangs, but if your choke linkage is sticking, chances are quite good the bowls are full of varnish, and chances are even greater that your idle jets are plugged. Roady has a good how-to on carbs in Shoptalk.

You can learn from us or like us. Learning from us is easier, believe me. If you do pull the carbs and go through them, you owe it to yourself to also look in the tank and see how bad it is in there. Easiest way is through the fuel sending unit. The filler neck is hard to fit a mirror in to get a look at the sides and top of the tank. The bottom might show only a little debris, but the sides and top usually show the source. Failure to clean the tank, fuel lines, and fuel pump often leads to having to redo those carbs you just cleaned. Ask me how I know??

Take your time, it'll be worth it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
GW Hobo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by GW Hobo »

Thanks Eric and Track. The tank is covered in rust, as is the fuel sending unit. And when I say covered, I mean there's rust on top of rust, with a little bit of rusty, syrupy gasoline. When I got the bike, the petcock was open so I imagine old gas may have been able to drain into the carbs..? I'll likely do the electrolytic technique first and then try chemicals on the tank, assuming it hasn't rusted through. Wasn't quite ready to take the rear wheel off yet. But I was really hoping to avoid baptism by carb cleaning. I'm scared of clowns but all them small carb pieces I read about and the few that, if you break them can't be replaced...that sounds like a nightmare for a FNG like me. 10-4 on the belts. Pistons hitting each other scares me too. Not as much as clowns, but still...

GW Hobo
2020 October BOM
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

Welcome to the site!

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
Moto nut
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Moto nut »

Welcome from colorado, and it never to late to enjoy the love/hate relationships you'll have with your project....good luck
Proud winner of ngwclub 2017 bike of the year......76 GL1000
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Please, start a thread in the project section.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Welcome aboard.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Welcome from Texas!
great find, it can be an awesome machine.
Your patience will pay off big. :orange

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
GW Hobo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by GW Hobo »

robin1731 wrote:Please, start a thread in the project section.

Will do, thx.
2020 October BOM
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

If the petcock was left open there may be gas in the crankcase ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Hi Hobo, welcome to NGW, nice bike!
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)