New to Motorcycles, in love with NGWs!

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

New to Motorcycles, in love with NGWs!

Post by keebler64 »

Hello all,

My name is Christopher, and I'm not a Goldwing owner yet, but after months/years of looking for that "perfect" look in a bike, I finally discovered this forum. I "wasted" most of my time researching all of the various Cafe'esque CB400, GS, and XS. Sat on a few customer Bobbers, and even several stock HDs (Sportster and Fat Boy). Nothing seemed to scratch the itch, until now. I have seen quiet a few Goldwings for sale on Craigslist for very cheap ($400 '77 GL1000 w/ title, etc etc), and started looking into the Goldwing Mods. Which invariably lead me to here (ala the CONDOR build thread from HOTT).

A little about me:

I'm 33, a father of 3, former USAF [2M051] DV/2007, I've been a Computer Programmer, Network Engineer, Oil/Gas Worker, and now I'm an Industrial Automation Instructor for the City of Dallas (DCCCD). I travel around to companies and colleges teaching other people how to be gearheads too. I love it. "Unfortunately", due to my predisposition for all things technical, problem solving, and general curiosities, I've decided I need a Motorcycle. I also commute 14 miles one way, and don't feel like I should drive my Suburban for such a short distance with only one occupant.

I've been a motorhead most of my life. Mainly Jeeps, VW, Chevy, Subaru (19 cars in 13 years), but never have I owned a bike.

Which brings me back to my introductory paragraph.

In all my searches, conversations, and requests for tips. Every single person directs me away from the Goldwing when I bring it up. Usually with "it's too much bike, too heavy, too fast for a newbie, too complicated" etc etc. But not a single person I can find (in person) has ever worked on a Goldwing, and most had not ridden one. So here I am.

I'm NOT afraid of hard work, or a project, but I also want to know what I'm potentially getting myself into. I have read much of Randakk's Blog, and so far I'm not scared, yet. I've been gravitating to the '77-'79 range of GL1000s. I'm 6'3, but only 172lbs. And I've never been able to actually ride a motorcycle. I/We have registered with an MSF approved school on April 8th, and I figured whatever project I get, probably won't be road worthy until then, at the soonest. My price range is sub $1000 if possible, of which there are 4 known GW's in said range in my area. Perhaps it should also be noted that, my spouse has given me the go-ahead for a bike, if it's "cheap" enough, with the added caveat I build her a Cafe Racer of her own (She's 6'2" and also does not want a "small" bike).

I hope this was not too verbose for a first introduction/question post, but I felt I should put it all out at once.

Thank you for your time,
Christopher aka "keebs"
1976 GL1000 - no name yet
1978 GL1000 "Bombshell" - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=62876 [SOLD]
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New to Motorcycles, in love with NGWs!

Post by TNTbefree »

Welcome to the club Keebs. Unlike you, I did no research at all. I saw a deal to good to pass up ($450 for a 81 Gl1100) and I thank my lucky stars it was a GoldWing. I was also told time and again to stay away from the old Wings. 'They need to much work all the time. Timing belts, valve adjustments, carb issues. Go new. Go Harley.' Along those lines...

Well, I am not a gear head, but I was able to take a full dresser, strip her down, pull the engine, change stator, timing belts, adjust valves, and various other tid bits and mods that needed done to make her road worthy.

After all that, I still hear that I should have gotten a Harley. Thing is, I love my bike and every one who sees it seems to like it too. Even if they don't want to admit it.

I'm 5'11' and it fits me very well. At your height, it may be a little less comfortable of a sitting position for you and yours, but, it is doable, and odds are it will not take long to become accustom to it. It's more of an upright sitting position than a lounging, (Harley) or laying, (crotch rocket) position.

Plus, as a NGW owner, you become part of a rare breed. Not one of the masses.

By the way, I was 45 before I ever got, rode, or worked on a bike. Odds are, my late entry into the cycle world saved my life. Had I done so sooner, my bravado and ignorance would have surely killed me. You sound a bit more mature and level headed than I did at your age, so I would say, go for it. Go GoldWing. And forget the Nay Sayers.

Welcome to the club!
Last edited by TNTbefree on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You'll find help here from anything from an oil change to an overhaul. I had a bike for one summer and then waited until I was in my forties to ride again and impulsively bought a wing. They are heavy at very slow speeds, but you learn quickly after a few falls-lol. At 33 and kids, take your time, read up all you can on riding skills and if you never have take the first time riders course. There are many, many things which you just won't think of on your own. I love my Wings, I hope you will too. Ask away and you'll get good advice.

You can find $200-$1000 dollar bikes. Sometimes you get lucky, but most times they NEED upkeep that can easily reach $2000-- or more. Your skin is far more expensive.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

welcome to the club and thank you for your service.
I'm also a never owned a bike before 6'4" rookie.
I didn't do any research on wings..I was convinced I wanted a bobber, pics of goldwing bobbers popped up in my search and I was hooked.
Now that I own one..I can't cut it up. It's in to nice a shape to.
Mine isn't running yet but it is very comfortable to sit on and make motorcycle noises. :)
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! It sounds like you know what you want, and that's a good start. For many here, wrenching is as much a sport as riding, lol. If you're familiar with a wrench and have some basic trouble shooting skills (or aren't afraid to ask questions), jump on in, the water's great! Enjoy the ride!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by keebler64 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Seeing as how there are a few "First bike was a GW" owners here, would the general consensus be that it's just a good a "starter" bike than anything else? I know they're significantly more complicated than say a 2 stroke kickstart Enduro, but it doesn't seem like they're any more difficult than say a mid-80's VW Rabbit in terms of complexity and regular maintenance items.

These are the one's I'm trying to go look at this week:

(1977) https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/6010438164.html

(1978) https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/6025320026.html

According to Randakk's blog, the '77's have more of an issue with jetting and idle, but if I'm going to take it apart to do the timing belts and carb-tune anyway, seems like it's not than big an issue. Compared to the '78 that is. (I wish I could just get them both.)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Welcome, you'll fit right in. I'm a first bike GW at 59 yrs old. I too am from a tech background, but I didn't let that get in the way of screwing the pooch on a few of my repairs (some I had to do twice). I've enjoyed the work and the help I've received here. I took a complete basket case, reassembled it and now have a rider (I've only put ~30 miles on her). I lost count of the money I spent on her, but the experience and pride of having done it will never leave.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Just a warning, getting a title can be a real PITA, expensive, and very time consuming, depending on your state of residence. Please do your due diligence before taking the leap on an untitled bike. I speak from experience...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by keebler64 »

Noted.

I've looked at the Bonded Title Process for Texas and have a pretty good idea at how to pursue it. Although it's not as easy a process as it was/is for older VWs, it doesn't seem entirely too bad. That said, if given a choice between equal condition GL1000s where one the titled one is $200 more than the Non-titled, it definitely seems worth spending the extra $200 up front.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

For a guy your size an early Wing is a GREAT starter bike .... they're only heavy til they're moving .... with your wrenching back ground and the info here you'll be riding in no time.

You know HOTT lives in Texas ....

Gord anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by keebler64 »

RAT wrote:Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

For a guy your size an early Wing is a GREAT starter bike .... they're only heavy til they're moving .... with your wrenching back ground and the info here you'll be riding in no time.

Gord anim-cheers1
Thank you, that's very encouraging to hear. Last thing I want to do is buy a bike that will leave me cramped or sore.
I do worry about my wife being able to manage it in-town, but she can squat and dead-lift more than I can, so maybe it won't be an issue. ;)
RAT wrote:Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

You know HOTT lives in Texas ....

Gord anim-cheers1
Yeah, I noticed. I go through Spring, to Houston 3-4 times a year. Would be cool to see his rides.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin

Post by Rat »

Send him a PM .... he's a really nice guy and he has a killer shop .... and a passable beer fridge ....

Gord anim-cheers1
keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by keebler64 »

Well. Sent the guy an offer of $300 for the 78 (with title). I think I offended him. Received a very stern "No." Sent an apology for the low-ball and offered his asking $500. No reply.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin

Post by Rat »

There are more out there .... no need to deal with a grumpy guy ....

Gord (life's too short) Jones
keebler64
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by keebler64 »

Here's another "iffy"... abandoned 1980(ish) Interstate, supposedly by former employee. Only $150. Tempted to pick it up tonight, but worried about legality. Bill of Sale would be enough for a bonded title I suppose. Sounds "too good" to pass up.

IIRC, it's a GL1200, and is a bugger to nakedize?