New member and proud new owner of GL1000 Executive #34

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

New member and proud new owner of GL1000 Executive #34

Post by silverfox »

Hi all,
newbie here fom the UK, many of you may recognise me from the Steve Saunders site.
I normally ride a GL1800 but on Sunday last bought number 34 of 52 of the GL1000's known as "Executives"
Mine is in fairly good shape but sadly not 100% complete. I am hoping to aquire the necessary bits to bring her back to complete as time goes on.
She has stood for some while, and so the carbs are somewhat gunmmed up and the charging system is a bit suspect. She is currently in a mate's workshop being worked on by him and me, and I look forward to her being truely roadworthy. Been many a year since I rode naked!!! :shock:
Anyway, I look forward to watching and learning from you all on here. Good to see some faces I know around the place. :-D

Pete
Pete
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

welcome. and tell me more about what an executive model is. i had not heard that before.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Hi Cyborg, thanks for the welcome. :)
Issued only in the UK in 1977 there were 52 of them. Number one was given as first prize in a competition in MCN magazine. The ticket cost the guy 75p and he lived in Bristol UK.
With the exitement that the competion generated, another 51 bikes were sent to Rickman for re styling, ( like the first one was) and they were all painted black with gold pin striping. The saddle was re covered in brown leatherette material and a Rickman MarkV fairing was added, ( making it the only GL1000 sold out from Honda dealerships with a fairing). Additionally they had a rack added and crash bars. They sold for £2100.00 +VAT.
I believe they were actually 1976 made models and only registered in 1977 for the road in the UK. thus things like the carb rebuild kits should probably be for a 76. ( check from VIN number to be sure though)
I now know of at least 6 that survive of which I believe 5 of those are road worthy. I have not discovered any more as yet, but would be interested to know anything that anybody is aware of about them.
There is a photo in the gallery here of one, under member name Dougal, taken at the motorcycle show in 2006, she was sold on at that show.
And that is about it from my end, about all I know so far. I am in touch with one or two of the owners of these fine bikes and hope to gleen more as time goes on.
:-D
Pete
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

thanks for the info. sounds like you have found a keeper
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

CYBORG wrote:thanks for the info. sounds like you have found a keeper
Yep, just like the girlfriend!!! :lol:
Pete
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Check the build date on the headstock, all my 76s were built in 1975. There probably was a short run of them that went to Rickman.

I'd be interested in a picture as although I've heard of those I've never seen one.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Wow, this site just gets better! Welcome to NGW, and I'd love to see pictures!

here is one:

Sunny
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

And some Octane has previously posted.

And Silverfox's number 34.

"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Howdy Pete,Welcome and God Bless!
Ron
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
alan hawke
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans//alanhawke

Post by alan hawke »

Welcome to ngwsmilie pete
Alan

1975 GL1000
1976 GL1000
2000 ZX6R KAWASAKI
2009 vn1700 kawasaki classic
silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Thank you for putting up the pics everyone, the first is owned by someone I am now in touch with in London and he is being most helpful in my research for bits etc. The following pictures appear to be the origional one that was produced and won in the competition, because it doesn't have a number allocated to it on the side panel. Interestingly it
also retains the black seat cover where the other 51 had brown reupholstery.
As you see in the picture the one I have bought has had the fairing removed and I have purchaced one from a friend of the seller in a seperate deal. Unfortunately the screen has a little chunk missing from the bottom corner and it is only in fair condition. The mounting hardwear is also not present, but I believe it is fairly basic and could be reproduced easily enough.
The chrome rack has also gone and been replaced with Sigma rack, panniers and top box, practical I admit, but I would like to get a rack to at least keep for her if not fit at the moment.
Somewhere along the line, ( probably when the fairing was removed) the analogue clock has gone too from in between the speedo and rev counter, that is a big shame, because that is going to be very hard to find. :(
The seat on mine has been dyed at some time, the origional brown is bleeding through, here and there and I am either going to have to remove the dye somehow or have the seat recovered.
As I find my feet here on the site I will be asking for more help and information no doubt, but that about explains where I am at, at this early stage.
Pete
detdrbuzzard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by detdrbuzzard »

hello and welcome to NGW pete
'75cb750, '79cb750 super K, '79cb750f,
'99 ST1100,'93gl1500se, '70 ct70H, '05sunL70
'06 ST1300a
... william
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

From the pix the coloring seems similar to my LTD. I wonder if they started with LTDs to make your bike? Did it happen to have chrome tools?
Enjoy life,
Cookie

silverfox
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by silverfox »

Cookie wrote:From the pix the coloring seems similar to my LTD. I wonder if they started with LTDs to make your bike? Did it happen to have chrome tools?
In my case, unfortunately, no tools!!! :(

The colour and pin striping is probably similar to the LTD, all I know is that at the time (76/77) we were only getting GL's in the UK in blue or red as I recall. We were very envious of the colours available else where. :roll:
Pete
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Cookie »

I've only seen that color on LTDs before, I imagine that was Honda marketing's idea of an elegant color for the sophisticated buyer.
You can find a list of numbers for LTDs on this site somewhere and it would be interesting to see if you serial number was within that batch.
Enjoy life,
Cookie