learned some stuff (Ignition)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

learned some stuff (Ignition)

Post by DVL1000 »

Hello ,

There is so much information on this site that some simple stuff gets lost. Here is some more:

1) Do not use resistor plugs if your spark plug holders already have them. I chased a poor running engine for a long time, I even bought DYNA to replace the points thinking it was a crappy system (I've changed my mind). It was me.

2) Do a good job checking resistance at every plug, every plug holder and coils, this is how I found out about #1. There are good, general how to's on YouTube.

3) I SET DYNA using 2 lights perfectly to the line at F1 and F2, it would not run. I made a ready nice double light system with bullet connectors to go into harness and an alligator clip for the negative. My bike is a 78, I don't know why, but the bike would not run because spark was way too early. I just rotated the entire DYNA plate and it ran great! I think using the light set the DYNA moduals correctly. (Belts are aligned correctly)

I rebuilt the motor and carbs ( poor compression and old carbs), I though I had made a mistake somewhere but it was a weak spark that caused me the most frustration.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: learned some stuff (Ignition)

Post by Whiskerfish »

DVL1000 wrote:SNIP

3) I SET DYNA using 2 lights perfectly to the line at F1 and F2, it would not run. I made a ready nice double light system with bullet connectors to go into harness and an alligator clip for the negative. My bike is a 78, I don't know why, but the bike would not run because spark was way too early. I just rotated the entire DYNA plate and it ran great! I think using the light set the DYNA moduals correctly. (Belts are aligned correctly)

SNIP
Then something is off somewhere. Static timing to the F1 and F2 marks has been the primary method for thousands of these bikes. I have done numerous checks using the static method then checking/ fine tuning using a degree wheel but they all ran well with just the static method and were within a hair or two of the degree wheel.

Probably the first thing I would check is the advancer to make sure it is free and working properly.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I'm wondering if the points plate wasn't making a good ground? Rotating it once could have cleaned up the ground area? The aluminium behind the points plate has to be clean and while setting them has to have and keep a ground.

If you get the timing set to where you think it should be, and tighten down the screws, you can change the timing enough to be too far advanced or retarded. Especially if you have one side loose, and the other side just snug enough to allow rotation.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
DVL1000
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by DVL1000 »

Hi,

I don't think it's the ground. After I tighted the plate, I rotated the engine at least 5 times with the alignment ok.
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Maybe you were 180 off and had the coil wires flipped? I did that once !
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774