Wheel weights on rim

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Wheel weights on rim

Post by Rockdog »

Just curious...took my wheels to shop and got new tires put on......how much weight did they put on your wheels to balance out
flyin900
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wheel weights on rim

Post by flyin900 »

There is no correct answer here as every tire and rim will be different in some form. I have had wheels and tires that needed no weights and some that looked like they had a gym's worth of weights attached.
Another option if you have lots of weights and don't like the look is the Dyna beads or an equivalent manufacturer. These are small beads that get introduced into the tire once mounted through the air valve and get great reviews on performance in replacing weights on the rim.
Current Bikes:

1966 CL77 - Honda 305cc - Dual purpose - "Gentleman's Scrambler" was a period moniker.
1967 CL175K0 - Low production number with #802 engine serial- winter 2019/2020 full restoration.
1972 CB350F - Baby Four with low mileage - Cosmetic refresh to the next level 2021/2022.
1978 CB550K - Very original bike with only 7499 Km. from new - light cleanup and refresh done.
1983 CB1100F - Canadian model - DOHC Supersport in pristine low kilometre condition from new.
1984 GL1200 - Standard model in showroom condition - two owner bike from new.
1984 CX650E - Restored summer 2017 - a rare Eurosport model - excellent one owner bike.
Rockdog
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Rockdog »

Yep the new shinko 230's and rims look like they have a dumbbell rack full of weights on them...... they have fresh tubes also...... place I took them too said I couldn't use the beads with tubes..... did he know what he was talking about????? I wonder.....
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I have used the DynaBeads with tubes. It can be a pain installing them, though...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Rockdog wrote:Yep the new shinko 230's and rims look like they have a dumbbell rack full of weights on them...... they have fresh tubes also...... place I took them too said I couldn't use the beads with tubes..... did he know what he was talking about????? I wonder.....

If they were off that much they should have broken the tire down and rotated it on the rim. Sometimes you end up turning them 90 degrees or more if they are way off. Much better than putting a lot of weight on it which could come off.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

Beads in tubes are absolutely no problem! Have run them for years! If you have straight stems, I would recommend the valves with stainless steel screens in the core. They are available from your bead distributor! For a buck, it's great to be safe!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield
mfnheff
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by mfnheff »

You can use beads with tubes. There is a pneumatic tool that will shoot the beads in. There is one at the place I work, I use it to get beads in wheels that are mounted and inflated. It was actually made to be used with equal balancing powder, but it will do the beads if you get the hang of it.
As for using the beads with tubes...I've had better luck balancing a tube type wheel assembly with beads than an application that doesn't use a tube.
One other thing, that really does make a difference on any tire other than a Goodyear...Make sure the red dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stem. Some wheels will have a simple or sticker to indicate where the dot should line up. It's call mount matching.
But usually on bikes, it goes with the valve stem. And Goodyear doesn't make bike tires, so that's not going to be an issue I guess.
1976 gl1000