Q for those that have or have had a Corbin

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Q for those that have or have had a Corbin

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Looking for misc. feed back.

I am going to buy a corbin gunfighter for my 78 (eventually).

The choices are a bit overwhelming. I only get one try at this.

Basic black is all I can safely come up with at the moment, but it is a bit boring.

The bike is blue at the moment, but may change.....

I like the idea of the carbon fiber look on the seat and leather on the side panels. If I knew for sure it was going to stay blue maybe blue piping. Which brings me back to black.

Any suggestions? What did you do that you are happy with and what did you do that you wouldn't do again.

thanks, but not into the flame treatment on the back end.
1978GL1000 naked - kinda sadly gone. no bike at the moment.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Q for those that have or have had a Corbin

Post by robin1731 »

This could be asked of any brand of seat. I say go with black. It will go with any color you paint the bike. Also makes it easier to sell if you do down the road. Carbon fiber look is already starting to look dated. IMO The leather would work.

One thing on the Corbin. Make sure you order it with the sides cut down. Too many on here talk about not being able to get the side covers off without removing the seat. Because the sides sit down too low.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

Yes and yes.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

yes. They have a couple options of texture in black. I like the leather sides and basketweave seat. And as mentioned, for sure have them trim it up. They do so for no extra charge. Corbin builds the seat according to your height and weight. I found I was sitting too far back for my taste and should have told them I was 2 inches shorter.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
J4BPX
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: http://www.aeromount.com/gallery

Post by J4BPX »

+1 on the black only. All the decorated versions just look too 'pimped'. And if you can get them to build it so that you sit a little further forward that would help- I have lower than standard bars and although I'm 6ft it's a bit of a stretch. Good when you're doing 70 but not when you're dawdling!
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation - Saki

1976 UK GL1000 K1 'Trog' restored.
What's next?

The restoration at http://www.aeromount.com
oldwings 78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by oldwings 78 »

Go with black for your seat then get creative with things that don't cost so much to change your mind about.
Terry
"A man who is good at making excuses is rarely good at anything else" Benjamin Franklin
"A man who will sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither" Benjamin Franklin
'78s are the best looking GLs Just ask Doc
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

re: seating position. would you tell Corbin you are 2" shorter or you want to sit closer to the bars? How does weight figure in? I love the look, but have never sat on one. I hear they aren't cushy. I presume it is best to call. They must like doing the other cut for some reason - or that's the way they've always done it, etc. etc.

Black it is. I do like the idea of weave on the seat.

I assume the pan is ABS plastic not metal...?

34bpx- nice bike !!
Last edited by Pony Ruiz on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." Albert A. Bartlett.
alwing17
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

Post by alwing17 »

Pan is ABS...No,it is not cushy and does not need to be. The gunfighter is the most comfortable seat I have found for these wings. When I ordered my first one..I did not know about having the sides cut down. Disadvantage,not being able to remove the side covers w/seat attached. Advantage,if you forget to latch a side cover,you wont lose it. The second one I ordered was already cut down on the sides,I did not ask for it.
1975 GL 1000 "Street Fighter"
1976 GL 1000 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow x2
1981 GL 1100 "Crown Royal"
1997 GL 1500 Pearl Sapphire Black
1977 GL1000 Cirrius Blue
1977 GL 1000 Skidmark build
1976 GL 1000 Limited
2003 ST 1300 Silver Streak
(And those are just the Gold Wings! With an exception..)
Team 898...25%er...*Beverages Consumed
Team LTD...1/6th'er...* Even more beverages consumed
cob
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cob »

The most important issue( I got my Corbin, 76 Wing) about 6 months ago and it is a good product, BUT you should look into having the sides cut a bit so that you can get to the side panels.
When you order it, speak to them about it, THEY KNOW.
I got that advice here and it was good advice.
I made the mistake of red piping and am thinking of changing the bike color, so just go as neutral as possible, but the PIPING does add to the seats looks. Will use red pinstripe if I paint the bike black..............
1976 GL1000
timinit
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by timinit »

So I didn't know about having the sides cut down but don't have a problem getting the side panels off with the seat I bought this year (maybe they've adjusted due to customer input)? I do however have issues with the seat being a little too long for the grab rail. It's a VERY tight fit and the grab rail is now useless for a pasenger. I didn't get the gunfighter ... I got the 2 up touring saddle and LOVE IT!!! it's not soft, but it is very comfortable for me at 6'1" and 160lbs soaking wet. I like the longish reach to the bars (I have superbike bars installed) and have only done a few trips in the 200 mile range ... nothing further, but had no butt fatigue. I actually find myself returning to the seat at gas stations when I should be seeking alternate positions. One gripe is that the driver and passenger seat has the insert for a backrest (which I bought on ebay). I specifically asked to NOT have that insert installed for the drivers seat area and it is an uncomfortable hard spot for the passenger. Not a big issue for me since I can barely get my wife to ride around the block with me ... but one day ... it might become an issue? lolol
Current:
'76 GL1000 LTD - Jan '14 BOTM
'78 KZ650B (x2)

Previous:
'77 KZ400
'04 YZ250F
Pokegama
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Pokegama »

I really like my gunfighter. I had a theme going so I went with the Bomber jacket brown. Lots of other companies have colors of leather that match what Corbin uses.
I forgot to mention to them to cut the sides up higher when I ordered it. Now I can't get the covers off without taking the seat off first. crying1

1979 GL1000....Ya gotta start somewhere!
August 2013 BOTM!
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38985
ole496
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ole496 »

When I talked to Corbin, they had many options available. They sent me some sheets of stitching patterns that I could choose to have stitched onto the seat which could be in almost any imagineable color. The flames on the tail section can be left off but stitching patterns like on the seated portion of my seat are still another option. They were totally open to anything I wanted. I went with the flames on the back done in bomber jacket brown and added flame stitching on the seat. Some have actually painted the flames a different color so you're never just stuck with something.

Now that I've owned the seat, it does sit you too far back in the saddle if you have short handlebars - you'll have to reach no doubt about it.

If I had to do it over again...I'd definately buy another one...in all black or with the basketweave pattern in the seat.

I love the stitched pattern on my seat and I'm happy with my color choice but it limits the look of the bike if I decide to change the style.

Everyone that sees the seat admires it. It is a beautifully crafted seat and worth every penny.

1976 GL1000 "Double Nature" https://youtu.be/IK0YS2uuZtc
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. -Thomas Edison
Pony Ruiz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pony Ruiz »

Poke.. Very Cool! I like the theme. It's got that drifter look.

Ole, that is a nice seat too. I like the idea of doing something different, but I'm gonna sell the bike, so better keep it black.

I hope they know how to cut it so one sits a little farther forward, but not too far forward.

I will def. tell Corbin to cut the sides up. Just for giggles tho, I emailed them to see if I could get a couple fabric samples but no reply.

Looking forward too it.

cowboy450
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cowboy450 »

Mine sat me too far back also. Nice seat other than that.
1981 Standard, 1982 Aspencade, 1983 Interstate.

A Goldwing isn't an old mans bike, it's a wise mans bike. Often that wisdom comes with age.
pistolpete
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by pistolpete »

MY.02,
I have a two up Corbin on my Maggie Mae.
Two weeks ago I went to Panama City Beach, FL to join my wife and kids for the weekend.
535 miles down and 689 miles back (long way) I encountered rain from Montgomery, AL to Oak Ridge, TN.
The stitching in the seat allowed soaked up the water and my tail was wet even after the rain stopped.
3 years ago I went to Colorado on the same seat and traveled 850 miles the first day.
I couldn't sit any other seat and be as comfortable and stay alert as on all my Corbins.
BTW...I am 72 Y/O and wouldn't be afraid to hit the road on an Iron Butt tomorrow sitting on a Corbin.
Pistol

Return to “GoldWing Tech Discussions”